• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What do other people and/or friends say about our hobby ?

I m just curious because what i get from friends and/or family who knows that i m collecting stickers is usually ..

1) It's for kids ...im an adult im not immature like you
2) I don't understand how you can know the value of a sticker.... for me it s all the value of toilet paper (when mentioning that I knew someone who bought a sticker for 1000 euros)
3) It's such a waste of money

etc etc

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I m just curious because what i get from friends and/or family who knows that i m collecting stickers is usually ..

2) I don't understand how you can know the value of a sticker.... for me it s all the value of toilet paper (when mentioning that I knew someone who bought a sticker for 1000 euros)

etc etc
You have quite a family/friends, for such remarks... It's not like I get better reactions from family, though I usually don't talk about it with them... But they were harsh on you with such comments and honestly, I would stay away from negative people who are constantly put the others down just because you don't share the same views.

kribeiro wrote it well, everyone should respect what they like, as long it's, respectful, legal and not put others at risk... I have friends who spends so much euros on daily coffees, weekly expensive drinks, outfits for every single party... Others who are hardcore gamers, spending everything in videogames, online purchases, gadgets, whatever... And others who pay for everything that's new and trendy, just because they want to be "cool" (smartphones are the main example)... If one of them dares to say any of those three comments, it's easy to counter with their "flaw" too... So why not just accept people have different tastes, be more childish or not? I say gamers are very childish too, buying every single new techy thing is childish too... Me paying 80€ for sticker/cards products is perfectly fine, but I wouldn't pay 80€ for the latest awesome videogame on market... Yet, a gamer would blindly give away 80€ for the game and never for stickers and cards (or any other expensive thing)

Anyway, just be proud of what you're doing and don't ever let those opinions make you doubt of what you like.

Caniggia

Contributor

etc etc
I don't care so much about thinking of others and my wife knew before wedding my passion for stickers and comics, so she can't say nothing now :p

anyway

1) sometimes they say that, but then many friends help me bringing albums or stickers from abroad.. so maybe is right, I'm immature, but they would like to be, too! :)
2) in Italy is different, people knows comics and stickers can have a good value .. this is main problem when you search items and try to pay human prices!
3) ahahah... my copy of Mexico70, for example, will not loose value ... what about dresses, shoes, cars etc?!? ;)

anyway I don't collect albums thinking about value ... but is nice to know one day, I hope far far from now, I will leave to my family something good even is not a palace or 1st issue of Action Comics :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your answers. Honestly me and my wife are not materialistic so she understands it s a hobby and it s not so bad.
I don't have any bad friends although my post made it look like I have , but as most of you mentioned a lot of people spend for new stuff that for me are totally unnecessary , and the videogame example is great , i bought games in the past never for more than 20 euros a few years after they re out , and haven't bought for years. Some buy for 80 euros as soon as a new game goes out. Same goes with clothes , phones , etc etc

CSKA is correct , making the kids involved is a great way to have your wife closing your eyes :)

@Caniggia , dont you think there is a limit in the market though ? Say in 10 years , maybe your 1970 album will be worth already 5000/6000 euros (just guessing) , do you think someone will be able to pay ?

LeicesterRob

Contributor
@Toshunya86 I was having exactly the same thought about value in the future. I was questioning it too. I'm not so sure there is a generation behind us that will have the same interest to be honest (I hope I'm wrong).

Like you guys I collect first and foremost. For instance by collecting an album I learn more about clubs and players which I wouldn't do otherwise.

Regarding the initial question I have everyone on a 'need to know' basis! My friends don't need to know so I say nothing!

Caniggia

Contributor
Thanks for your answers. Honestly me and my wife are not materialistic so she understands it s a hobby and it s not so bad.
I don't have any bad friends although my post made it look like I have , but as most of you mentioned a lot of people spend for new stuff that for me are totally unnecessary , and the videogame example is great , i bought games in the past never for more than 20 euros a few years after they re out , and haven't bought for years. Some buy for 80 euros as soon as a new game goes out. Same goes with clothes , phones , etc etc

CSKA is correct , making the kids involved is a great way to have your wife closing your eyes :)

@Caniggia , dont you think there is a limit in the market though ? Say in 10 years , maybe your 1970 album will be worth already 5000/6000 euros (just guessing) , do you think someone will be able to pay ?
@Toshunya86
first of all I repeat I don't collect considering a possible value in future, If I do like that I shall not attach stickers :p I collect for own passion (same for comics)
no one knows about future value.. for example in the '80s no one could imagine actual value of some toys, completely forgotten for many years. But here we're talking about football and a world market ... so maybe in 30 years everyone will watch only ROLLERBALL (a old mighty movie about a very no sense sport...) but I don't think will be like that
anyway is a good reason to be saved by wife: "my love, this album in 20 years will have more value than now!" :D

ilias

@Toshunya86
first of all I repeat I don't collect considering a possible value in future, If I do like that I shall not attach stickers :p I collect for own passion (same for comics)
no one knows about future value.. for example in the '80s no one could imagine actual value of some toys, completely forgotten for many years. But here we're talking about football and a world market ... so maybe in 30 years everyone will watch only ROLLERBALL (a old mighty movie about a very no sense sport...) but I don't think will be like that
anyway is a good reason to be saved by wife: "my love, this album in 20 years will have more value than now!" :D
Off topic, but I didn't know you collect comics haha.

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
Honestly, I don't discuss this issue with friends and family. My closest friends know my passion and have no remark about it. Surely because everyone has his secret garden full of childhood souvenirs...

Dieter

I talk about it with friends briefly, since they're not really interested in the details.
But most of them don't laugh about it at all, everybody has collected them at some stage in their youth (Since Belgium Always has been a big panini collectors country).
Most of the reactions are somethink like: Damn if i only knew how much those i.e. mexico '86 stickers would have been worth i wouldn't have stuck them on my radiotor.

fenerbahCHE

Contributor
I have a young friend who collects old die cast matchbox toys. Matchbox was in my reception area for several years so we were in touch. He spends quite some money on all the variations, boxes etc. One day i couldnt stop myself asking him what his wife thought about it. He said that they had a talk one day. Apparently he said “ Look, i dont drink, i dont smoke, i dont dream about four Wheel drives or vacations in Acapulco, this is the only thing i do, ONLY..” that was the end of conversation.

After a lot of research, several years ago i finally located the last offices of an old gum company and the surviving son of the founder of the company. This was one of the most creative and productive companies in the past, it was a bid sad to see a small office in a deep basement of a building but at least still there. First i had to explain why i was talking to the guy, it took him a while and several visits to understand me. Over the years he grew to from complete disinterest to getting into his own company's past and even asking me if i could give him a few football gum cards or sth – produced by his own company!- for nostalgia. Eventually one day he couldnt stop himself anymore and asked “ So Ali Bey, what about all these cards, whats going to happen at the end, why all this, why ? “ Yes of course, if not turned into money , then why? I answered “ what do you think i should do instead, get obsessed with a Mercedes?”

Somebody else told me sometime after, in spite of a company almost bankrupt, the small and depressing basement office, this guy owned some kind of a Mercedes!

Last edited:
I don't think any of my friends have any interest at all in cards/ stickers. I was driving back from a game not long ago when someone described people collecting cards as losers which as I pointed out was quite ironic given he had been chasing Pokemon all day !!