Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I hope for cards and stickers

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Pretty cool both attempts, I liked them both but I might prefer Roko because it's something new.

Great job guys, keep it up!

D8ct9r

It's UEFA, so I believe there will be no collection... Hopefully I'm wrong, but Panini just wants UEFA for the major tournaments and not some qualifying... At most, they will replace Road To for Nations League next year, but UEFA will demand more money and Panini will just stick with their FIFA rights.
This could be an interesting discussion for the Euro 2020 campaign… I could be wrong because I didn’t really take any time to study the mechanics of UEFA Nations League and its role in the qualification process for the EURO 2020, but if I understand it correctly the playoffs of UEFA Nations League will be held in March of 2020 and the draw for EURO 2020 will be held in late March of even April 2020…

Well you've been in the collecting game long enough that you know that the sticker collection is usually out in March (when talking about Euro or WC, but it’s designed months before), but in 2020 that will not be possible because we won't know who has qualified and we will not know the structure of the groups… Whoever will do the collection will have a hard task to market it accordingly because there will be less time to do so and it will for sure be more expensive because they would have to obtain more licenses from more teams that might not qualify (remember why the WC 2018 prices went up? ;))…

So if I would have to bet I would bet that there will be a UEFA Nations League collection just because that’s the only way that the UEFA EURO 2020 sticker collection makes sense financially – You obtain the rights and sell the “same” collection twice. Again I could be wrong on how the UEFA Nations League works, but as I said this could be an interesting discussion how the change of the format could impact Panini/Topps.

From the financial standpoint this will be a tough 4 years for the stickers industry because the November-December period is also not optimal but there Panini already has a license and they now know the exact dates of the World Cup 4 years in advance, so they will figure it out, but I’m not sure who has the license for the UEFA Euro 2020 collection.

But enough boring business stuff and let’s get back to those stickers designs… You guys @Roko @Vortep are making awesome stuff, keep it up.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Ahah, both UEFA and FIFA are screwing up Panini's schedule for 2020 and 2022.

Well, they could do a "Topps" approach, which means start the album with just the 20 teams qualified and leave blank spaces for the last 4 teams... If by any chance this will be the case, I surely hope they have some sort of idea to make those pages +/- the same as the other 20 teams.

Panini might have some kind of pre-arrangement with the 16 teams in playoffs to pay ONLY if they qualify in the end... But for this last WC, seems Panini also paid for teams who didn't qualify... So in the end, there will be three scenarios for Panini:

- Pay to all 16 teams in playoffs;
- Have an arrangment to pay just for the last four qualified;
- Just pay for the 20 teams qualified and have an incomplete album.

Last scenario seems very unlikely... Second scenario is the best, but federations in question won't accept... Most likely we'll have the first scenario, with Panini again to negotiate with some teams that won't be qualified... Let's hope they can negotiate better this time.

So, for the album itself again... Topps approach or just delay as much as possible the release, which means not before end of April, considering everything they still have to do... Fortunately, it's not such a difficult task as it was with World Cup, basically they only have to provide the collection for european countries and some other markets like Mexico and Brazil who usually get the european football collections too.

D8ct9r

Some interesting ideas indeed...
Well, they could do a "Topps" approach, which means start the album with just the 20 teams qualified and leave blank spaces for the last 4 teams... If by any chance this will be the case, I surely hope they have some sort of idea to make those pages +/- the same as the other 20 teams.
This one would make sense if the draw will be held way in advance so that they would know the structure of the groups or they could go full Topps and just include them in alphabethical order and leave 4 empty slots...

I didn't want to put it directly in the first post that's why I put it like "this could be an interesting discussion how the change of the format could impact Panini/Topps", but EURO 2020 has Topps written all over in my opinion... But if Panini will do it I think that we get UEFA Nations League collection also because they gotta (I think and you also put it as the most probable scenario) keep the "Only Offical Collection" theme from the World Cup...

If this "Official Collection" theme will be taken more loosely I think that they will do it in a way of 20 teams and a qualify section - Similar to the way that FIFA 365 includes some internationally less known teams as in action stickers (2 or 3 players per sticker) at the back end of the album. Then with the updates the 4 complete teams that would qualify would be issued without an album (poster like in Brazil could be included with the update), so similarly to how the update of players is made now. Price point of probably around 30 EUR for the update set if you ask me.

At least that's the only two scenarios I see if Panini keeps the UEFA EURO license.

Vortep

I have send a message to Panini asking if they plan to release a Nations League Collection. As soon as I have an answer I will post it here.

Roko

You mean like designing a Album page for putting stickers on it or designing a sticker with team formation?

Vortep

The tournament starts in two months, I believe that if Panini was planing a collection they would have said something by now.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
OK, I have been doing my own Sticker album. Here is a prototype on the team page (not final)View attachment 10823
Woah.... It's one of those clear "amateur" work (in a good way) that I wished we could collect, if we don't have any collection.

@Vortep one thing for your sake: might be better to slightly watermark those stickers and pages, there are plenty of people who can use your work as their own.

Hoddle01

I wonder if Panini will compliment their Copa America 2019 album, with a UEFA Nations Cup finals sticker album featuring the semi finalists and selected players from Group A teams who have either remained in the A tier or have been promoted?