Topps Match Attax UEFA Champions League 2017-18 trading cards

First look at the 2017/18 Topps Match Attax Champions League Cards
Release date : October 2017
Packs per box: 50
Cards per pack: 6
Starter pack : Binder, 36 Total Cards (including: 1 Gold Limited Edition Card, 2 Goalkeeper Cards), Game Mat, Game Rules
Tin (Club Heroes) : 44 regular cards, 1 Gold Limited Edition card, 15 Club Heroes Cards Subset
Tin (Game Changers) : 44 regular cards, 1 Gold Limited Edition card, 15 Game Changers Cards Subset
Tin (New Signing) : 44 regular cards, 1 Gold Limited Edition card, 15 New Signing Cards Subset
Other subsets include Man of the Match, 2016-17 Winners, 100 Club, and UCL Legends, Match Attax Live, Pro 11
Limited Edition cards can be found in Bronze Silver and Gold
The lone autograph in 2017-18 Topps UEFA Champions League Match Attax is a signed Gareth Bale card

Attachments

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well, can't say Topps is not innovating, though their innovation should be on the cards themselves, not making us buying three tins to get those subsets.

As for the rest, nothing new it seems... they'll never end the GSB limited and even same subsets in the regular collection... Perhaps they're now getting ready to say goodbye to CL? We can't forget their official licensing was just for three seasons and this will be the third one... Unless they renew it.

Bahnsen

If the set is produced this early, it must mean, that the qualifying team yet again is getting left out. Thats too bad. For me the most important thing in sets for Champions League or any other competition is, that every team is represented.

Oh well, my team is probably not going to qualify this year anyway - I will survive without buying this product.

LFC1892

Contributor
The 3 sub set tin idea has been done already in the Prem 16/17 with 45 new cards at 15 per set.
The money grabbing GSB for LEs continues as bad as it is.
Hopefully The Mighty Reds will make it through the playoffs to get into the collection.

AndyR

The 3 sub set tin idea has been done already in the Prem 16/17 with 45 new cards at 15 per set.
The money grabbing GSB for LEs continues as bad as it is.
Hopefully The Mighty Reds will make it through the playoffs to get into the collection.
the worst thing is, if MA Extra is anything to go by (stars of the season)... these extra sub-sets will be part of the checklist so collectors have to buy the mega tins as thats the only way they can complete their binders. It isn't just going to be one of those crap extra sets they produce which isn't listed in the collection binder.

LFC1892

Contributor
the worst thing is, if MA Extra is anything to go by (stars of the season)... these extra sub-sets will be part of the checklist so collectors have to buy the mega tins as thats the only way they can complete their binders. It isn't just going to be one of those crap extra sets they produce which isn't listed in the collection binder.
of course mate, thing is that all 45 cards are available to order from the topps website and the 15 from MA Extra.
Topps rely on people to spend the money just to get the LE cards. Priced at £9.99 they are making a wad of dosh out of the big tins.
I couldn't believe it when I saw them 60 cards on their website priced as cheap as base cards.

AndyR

I am sorry to bring you all the most sickening news Ive ever had to post...

Topps has partnered up with Konami and will be giving away exclusive LIMITED EDITION cards with sales of the PES 2018 game... There is already confirmed a MINIMUM of 3 cards and probably they will all have the GSB scam attached to them.
This really is going to go down like a lead balloon, i really feel something has to be done to try and stop this exploitation, not only for adult collectors but for the youngsters they are aimed at... UEFA really needs to step in as its beyond a joke.

To be fair, the cards are adequate:

let us know your thoughts guys... would you be prepared to buy Gold Silver Bronze variations of these in the games at £40 a pop with PES 2018. potentially 9x £40 if you hit even ratios let alone if they employ their usual scam of the golds being 1:8 packs.

Already heard their has been many complaints as usual and they have responded with the usual "limited editions are not part of the set" line. They should actually try telling that to all the disappointed youngsters who enjoy the champions league and want to get the set. They are so far separated from the genuine collectors its unbelieveable... In this technological day and age they should respect the youngsters and older collectors who still collect the cards and work WITH their customers.

Explanation for Art :) : Collectors being made to feel like sex workers being trafficked from another European country and getting pumped up the **** by Topps.

Last edited:

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I am sorry to bring you all the most sickening news Ive ever had to post...

Topps has partnered up with Konami and will be giving away exclusive LIMITED EDITION cards with sales of the PES 2018 game... There is already confirmed a MINIMUM of 3 cards and probably they will all have the GSB scam attached to them.
This really is going to go down like a lead balloon, i really feel something has to be done to try and stop this exploitation, not only for adult collectors but for the youngsters they are aimed at... UEFA really needs to step in as its beyond a joke.

To be fair, the cards are adequate:

let us know your thoughts guys... would you be prepared to buy Gold Silver Bronze variations of these in the games at £40 a pop with PES 2018. potentially 9x £40 if you hit even ratios let alone if they employ their usual scam of the golds being 1:8 packs.

Already heard their has been many complaints as usual and they have responded with the usual "limited editions are not part of the set" line. They should actually try telling that to all the disappointed youngsters who enjoy the champions league and want to get the set. They are so far separated from the genuine collectors its unbelieveable... In this technological day and age they should respect the youngsters and older collectors who still collect the cards and work WITH their customers.

Explanation for Art :) : Collectors being made to feel like sex workers being trafficked from another European country and getting pumped up the **** by Topps.
Cards seems very nice... and that's it.

I'm sorry, but we're the guilty ones. When I write "we", I mean all of us who spends dozens, sometimes hundreds, to get the limiteds. And the publishers, mostly Panini actually, has gone crazy to supply what WE demand.

We don't demand so many limiteds or being available only in some places, but we do demand limiteds. And what does Panini and Topps? They supply them. "But I don't want so many". But you still pay to get them all. "But I have to, it's incomplete otherwise". There you go, Panini and Topps knows it too. Also, publishers began to act greedy after seeing our own greedy. These days, we're paying more for extra products to get the limiteds. It didn't happen two or three years ago.

This Topps decision is despicable. They do know people will try to get it all and for that, either pay three PES copies (at least) or again, find some shady sellers who got these cards from someone inside the business (or being inside itself). And again, we're at fault. Because we pay to them. And Topps know about it and will continue.

Returning to Panini won't solve this. Sure, you won't get the GSB bullshit or this PES thing (I hope?), but you'll get again tons of limiteds, half of them released only in Turkey. Not to mention it's Adrenalyn, so the collection itself will be harder than Match Attax. And this is if Panini wants again the CL licensing, because remember, they were the ones who didn't want anymore, since UEFA was milking too much from it, let aside all the problems with image rights, distribution, etc, all in a deadline (this was admitted by a Topps manager I spoke with).

gaspy

I quote every single word!!!

I decided to stop collecting Limited cards, too much expensive for me, so I'll get only the ones that can be found in starter packs and tins.

I dont consider the Limited Edition cards as part of a series, so I generally do not collect them. In my view, they are extra/bonus cards so I am not too offended by how they treat them. I can understand the point of view of others though.

AndyR

I quote every single word!!!

I decided to stop collecting Limited cards, too much expensive for me, so I'll get only the ones that can be found in starter packs and tins.
Im the same... dont collect the limited edition cards for the last 2 years but am hassled constantly to get them for other family. I do agree with Carlos' point though that Topps will continue to suck us dry as long as people want to complete their sets. Until there's more like us who turn away from Limited Edition cards which are basically unobtainable they will never know. Yet another nail in the coffin for card collecting in my eyes.
I would say, there is people who will pay the £100+ per card on ebay obviously but they are very few in my country...and that doesn't inflate Topps' profit in any way.

You have to remember that the Match Attax product is aimed primarily at kids between 5-13 years old, topps have their other shitty brands like showcase for people who want to chuck money after dubious authentic autographs (a footballer who supposedly signed 100 cards in recent year on their authentic autos confirmed to me he signed 10 maximum as didnt have time to hang about, they still either advertised or i guess produced 100 easily from that as they just use some cheesy label thing and stick it on the cards afterwards - think Bale is the signer this year for MA??). So with their marketing ploy they seem to suggest that kids can get all the limited editions easily... You can make your own mind up about that.

The PES thing isn't the worst thing in the world, all people will do is buy the game, take the card out and return the game for a refund. Can see it now!! would i, if i collected LEs...who knows Im not going to put myself in that position with getting drawn into these LEs!!

To suggest the LEs are not part of the set is very naive (I respect your opinion) - but again agree with Carlos that collectors will want them for the simple fact they have the same branding on the back of the cards and same format as the standard set cards so surely no matter what Topps' line is on LEs are part of the set.

As for the GSB Variation scam with 1:8 of every product being gold (last 2 years, 1:30 the first ever year) everyone and their dog knows my views on that - buying minimum of 8 of the same product is just embarrassing for us all who do it.

On a brighter bit of news - the rumour is for Premier League Match Attax if you buy a new BMW car you get a bronze, new Mercedes a silver and of course a brand new Red Ferrari will secure you one of the 8 gold Limited Editions in the set. BARGAIN, can't wait to get all three... CLAP CLAP TOPPS.

Last edited:
To suggest the LEs are not part of the set is very naive (I respect your opinion) - but again agree with Carlos that collectors will want them for the simple fact they have the same branding on the back of the cards and same format as the standard set cards so surely no matter what Topps' line is on LEs are part of the set.
Just to be clear, this is just my view and how I see it. Every collector have their focus on what to collect of course, that is very personal. I am mainly a set collector, and for me I only collect what is in the packs.

AndyR

Just to be clear, this is just my view and how I see it. Every collector have their focus on what to collect of course, that is very personal. I am mainly a set collector, and for me I only collect what is in the packs.
crystal clear buddy and totally respected. :) What do you do with the LE's you find in the packs then, just sell them off?? Personally I am the same (a set collector) but have to admit its not the complete set. Problems even arise when for example topps listed the limited editions on the checklists in 2014/15 PL collection.

crystal clear buddy and totally respected. :) What do you do with the LE's you find in the packs then, just sell them off?? Personally I am the same (a set collector) but have to admit its not the complete set. Problems even arise when for example topps listed the limited editions on the checklists in 2014/15 PL collection.
I am not that good at selling off stuff, even though I should be. I just stack the Limited Editions up in piles to be honest. :)

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The PES thing isn't the worst thing in the world, all people will do is buy the game, take the card out and return the game for a refund. Can see it now!! would i, if i collected LEs...who knows Im not going to put myself in that position with getting drawn into these LEs!!

Will be hilarious to see that return scheme and even though it's not a nice thing to do, serves right both Topps and Konami.

About limites not part of the set, that is why Topps had to compensate some collectors on CL 2015/16, because they had the limiteds on their checklist and some people even thought they could order them by letter (in portuguese version, you couldn't buy online)... This year, Topps protected themselves by not adding them, but everyone knows limiteds are still part of the set... I already am at peace to the trouble of finding some limiteds without paying dozens, but this PES thing is onto a new level for sure.

daser78

I see that it could be a problem, p.e., if Liverpool doesn't qualify to group stage and they already designed and announced a card of the attackin trio.

Had an email from the UK distributors and it's scheduled for release here in January 2018. Pretty clear that as with the previous two years Topps isn't particularly interested in selling it in the UK as their focus is almost entirely on the Premier League. Still plenty of UCL packets on supermarket shelves

LFC1892

Contributor
Konami has exclusive deals with Liverpool, Barca and Dortmund to produce the best game with them 3 teams.

Everything from star head players, stadiums done to the T, chants. Everything you can name.

Problem is PES is getting killed by FIFA because of the amount of teams, licenses and such that EA has.

PES has suffered gameplay wise, gone are the days in the early 2000 when we at EA(I worked on FIFA 2004, 2005 & Champions League 2005) used to play PES before our shift started knowing that game play was even better than our own FIFA.

Konami wants to pump up their sales so they hook up with Topps and produce another money grabbing scam.

I usually buy PES to play with my son but in no way shape of form am I wasting money on multiple copies just to get the cards.

This scam is primed for failure.

LFC1892

Contributor
I see that it could be a problem, p.e., if Liverpool doesn't qualify to group stage and they already designed and announced a card of the attackin trio.
Wash your mouth fella. LIVERPOOL will get to the group stages and bring big old ears back to Anfield. #6 is coming home baby!!! :D