Topps Match Attax UEFA Champions + Europa League 2020/21

Ole

It is frightening which direction they are heading in at Topps UK. It is okay for me to publish various individual sets on specific players or topics.
But tearing apart a collection like Match Attax in this way is a terrible development.

I can live with the fact that there are adapted editions with additional teams in different countries. Makes collecting more difficult (especially after Topps is constantly sold out in their own online shop), but it is still possible to collect all cards in the collection.

But this recent constant publication of cards from this collection in extra products with limited quantities or as an addition to promotional items from other manufacturers is a disaster. Especially because these products are hard to get for normal collectors. Quite apart from the fact that Topps in the meantime apparently sees collectors outside of the UK as second-class collectors and many products are not even offered outside of the UK.

Good example: The Festive Box from a few days ago. Was sold out in a very short time and is now being offered by the usual speculators at completely inflated prices. Why does Topps put UCL Match Attax Cards in this box? Cards as a set in a different layout that do not belong to an existing collection would be ok, but that way they belong to the Match Attax collection and very few can collect them.

And the continuation is now with the Ferencvaros Cards ...

Definitely the worst Match Attax collection of all time (besides the one just mentioned, numerous reasons have been mentioned before that I certainly don't have to repeat again).

Anmarvel

It is frightening which direction they are heading in at Topps UK. It is okay for me to publish various individual sets on specific players or topics.
But tearing apart a collection like Match Attax in this way is a terrible development.

I can live with the fact that there are adapted editions with additional teams in different countries. Makes collecting more difficult (especially after Topps is constantly sold out in their own online shop), but it is still possible to collect all cards in the collection.

But this recent constant publication of cards from this collection in extra products with limited quantities or as an addition to promotional items from other manufacturers is a disaster. Especially because these products are hard to get for normal collectors. Quite apart from the fact that Topps in the meantime apparently sees collectors outside of the UK as second-class collectors and many products are not even offered outside of the UK.

Good example: The Festive Box from a few days ago. Was sold out in a very short time and is now being offered by the usual speculators at completely inflated prices. Why does Topps put UCL Match Attax Cards in this box? Cards as a set in a different layout that do not belong to an existing collection would be ok, but that way they belong to the Match Attax collection and very few can collect them.

And the continuation is now with the Ferencvaros Cards ...

Definitely the worst Match Attax collection of all time (besides the one just mentioned, numerous reasons have been mentioned before that I certainly don't have to repeat again).
I bought one of this box: The festive Box, and a half hour later, it was sold out. Unbelievable!
But I think Topps UK will have a problem with the exit of the European Union by UK. Now we can buy without paying custom taxes, but in 2021, maybe, we have to pay them if UK and EU havent reached any agreement about this.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I bought one of this box: The festive Box, and a half hour later, it was sold out. Unbelievable!
But I think Topps UK will have a problem with the exit of the European Union by UK. Now we can buy without paying custom taxes, but in 2021, maybe, we have to pay them if UK and EU havent reached any agreement about this.
I got a message from UK ebay to add VAT for my listings, because in 2021, they'll charge whenever I sell to a UK customer... Ridiculous.

About Ferencvaros, it seems like this:

1606320759136.png

Ole

Somehow I get the feeling that Topps won't be prepared for this. But where should they get the time from, they have to release a new rookie set every other day

About a year ago it was said that they were looking for a print shop in Germany, after massive problems with the one in England. That would avoid the problem if they were to supply mainland Europe, for example, from Germany. Since the On Demand and Now Sets are still being delivered from the UK and Print me is still deactivated for Germany, they probably haven't found anything yet.

About Ferencvaros, it seems like this:
Followed your conversation with Alan. That underscores what I said above. Hardly accessible for normal collectors outside of Hungary, as Lapker only sells locally with the RELAY and Inmedio stores and, like the whole group to which they belong, they have so far completely slept through the online business. This means that everyone from whom you can buy it online first had to buy it there and then resell it with a surcharge. You can see where this is going with the first offers on ebay, which are around $ 70 for such a set.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Somehow I get the feeling that Topps won't be prepared for this. But where should they get the time from, they have to release a new rookie set every other day

About a year ago it was said that they were looking for a print shop in Germany, after massive problems with the one in England. That would avoid the problem if they were to supply mainland Europe, for example, from Germany. Since the On Demand and Now Sets are still being delivered from the UK and Print me is still deactivated for Germany, they probably haven't found anything yet.

Followed your conversation with Alan. That underscores what I said above. Hardly accessible for normal collectors outside of Hungary, as Lapker only sells locally with the RELAY and Inmedio stores and, like the whole group to which they belong, they have so far completely slept through the online business. This means that everyone from whom you can buy it online first had to buy it there and then resell it with a surcharge. You can see where this is going with the first offers on ebay, which are around $ 70 for such a set.
Weren't they printing in Italy? Or have changed recently to UK?

I don't really care for Ferencvaros set and it should be primarily given to Ferencvaros fans in Hungary. My problem with Topps is all the obstacles they placed for acquiring a full set that is already rare itself and I can wonder if they'll do the same for other sets in the future.

Ole

Weren't they printing in Italy? Or have changed recently to UK?
I think only the complete series like Match Attax are printed in Italy, the short-term stuff in the UK.
I once got a subsequent delivery directly from the printer. They were called Precision Printing, but unfortunately they didn't live up to their name.

Pei

Is there a way to get the festive box somehow ? I tried couple hours after it went live and was already sold out. Will it be available again ?
I'm looking for the 7 Legend cards, is it an exclusive set for that box only ?

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Plus shipping cost, about 10-15 pounds, it is so expensive!
I would like to get a new Festive Box, but it is impossible
Thanks dantzig ! I bought 2 bags for me and a friend.
Yeah, shipping killed us - 40 pounds to Israel :confused:
It's one of my "battles" with Topps, their shipping for "foreigners" is completely ridiculous... fortunately I have a wonderful friend helping me in UK, so I didn't pay anything and he'll send me everything later.

@Pei, 40€ is indeed too expensive... send them a message saying you paid that because you really wanted the festive box, but you know what you bought didn't cost so much... If they don't answer (as usual), and you paid with Paypal, open a case to be reimbursed like half of the shipping at least.

Got now an email from Topps saying my Festive bag has been sent... and the order from a week ago still processing :p

Ole

It's a shame that Topps only offers the Festive Box in the UK, forcing all collectors from countries for which there is a Topps webshop to order in the UK. And the icing on the cake is that they then force these absurd shipping costs on you.

I would also like to have a Festive Box, and it takes a lot of effort to hold back. But I am no longer willing to play this Topps game any longer. Unfortunately, they do not respond to complaints about shipping costs or only useless excuses come up, as shipping costs have evidently become an important source of revenue for Topps UK.

LFC1892

Contributor
Trust me fellas, it won't be long before Panini has a 100% stranglehold on all things football cards/stickers.

They will get the CL/EL rights back soon and then they will swoop and win the Bundesliga rights in a few years.

They did the same thing in North America. They beat Topps to the NFL cards(I do collect them) and NBA.

Topps were left with little scraps for MLB that has Bowman producing for it as well.
They will be doing the kids cartoon stuff, Star Wars & F1 while Panini produces more profitable things

Ole

Even if I were in favor of two market participants instead of a monopoly, Topps only has itself to blame. So much potential and so much wrongly done in recent years... It looked like they were on the right track, but aligning the business only with the speculators and scaring off the longstanding collectors cannot go well for long.