Topps Champions League Official Sticker Collection 2015/2016

Caniggia

Contributor
So guys after opening 250 packets I would like to know if my opinion is similar with yours. First of all I still don't have a complete album, but was quiet sure. I didn't buy sealed boxes but 250 single packets with an offer sent by a contact of mine.

Of course I have many double, but few of players in action and shiny stickers (of players, I have many about badges). So is it same for you? Hardest are stickers about players in action (shiny or not, it does a matter). Many double also about shirts. I have found also many double about last part of album, even that part I have not complete!

By the way... I really don't understand the way of Topps to choose shiny stickers and player image for pages. I mean... for Barcelona we have giant image of Busquets!?! ... and for other teams they didn't choose one of most important players as shiny stickers ... then with some club shiny in action is same of shiny standard sticker... in other clubs not ...

Caniggia

Contributor
amm what is wrong with them? are they miscut?? are stickers at least in normal condition?
stickers are ok, normal I mean. The matter was with packets, the printing was not ok for selling in the shops.. but who cares, packets (opened and empty) are already in the garbage ;)

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It's a trap, don't be fooled by Caniggia, he was just teasing you with printed paper! :p

@Caniggia I've just bought the album + 5 packs to start (small video for my YT channel, which has finished now to upload) and I got 4 from the last sections (2 players to watch, one was shiny + right part of Real Madrid celebration in 2013/14 final and last sticker, the Youth CL)... Probably you were just unlucky with those sections, but curious as I am, will check in a few weeks if there are any rare stickers.

Caniggia

Contributor
It's a trap, don't be fooled by Caniggia, he was just teasing you with printed paper! :p

@Caniggia I've just bought the album + 5 packs to start (small video for my YT channel, which has finished now to upload) and I got 4 from the last sections (2 players to watch, one was shiny + right part of Real Madrid celebration in 2013/14 final and last sticker, the Youth CL)... Probably you were just unlucky with those sections, but curious as I am, will check in a few weeks if there are any rare stickers.
Maybe you had not read well about my post, it's because the marvellous victory of Sporting tonight? :) I have many doubles from last section even that part of my album is not complete, at the moment it seems no hard stickers to find except for players in action (shiny or not) in the beginning of every group

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Maybe you had not read well about my post, it's because the marvellous victory of Sporting tonight? :) I have many doubles from last section even that part of my album is not complete, at the moment it seems no hard stickers to find except for players in action (shiny or not) in the beginning of every group
You can write "surely you have not read well my post", because indeed I didn't :p And not by Sporting, it was only deserved when the team plays focused and not fooling around like they did in Albania.

You mean the star players then? There are three shinies for teams: star player (in group pages), logo and captain... You say the star players are harder than all the others stickers? In my 5 packs, I actually got 3 logos, a captain and a star player (thought the star player was a "player to watch"), but it's obviously too soon for me to say anything.

Helios

Contributor
Here´s my personal review of this album.

The glossy Cover similar to former Panini CL albums shows the Trophy and a selection of star players (?) divided by an arc.
Here we see this unique graphic element for the first time. This bow will also appear on all players and players in action stickers separating the player's image and name.
Maybe the arc is inspired by the shape of the trophy?
WP_20151201_001.jpg
The sticker album comes in normal size and weights more than expected.
Backside of the front cover features an advise for the virtual collection.

First page is titled with contents and shows the content of the 96 pages : all clubs from Group A to H (missing Olympique Lyonnais), Road to Milano, players to watch, finals, records, uefa women's CL, uefa youth league.
WP_20151201_002.jpg

All groups are introduced with the four teams on a double page featuring one shiny star player in action sticker - the choice is very disputable (Ibrahimovic is not available as shiny sticker for example)and two team skirt stickers ( home and away).
At the side there is a printed picture of another player. In the selection of this player there is no system of choice recognizable.
WP_20151201_003.jpg WP_20151201_004.jpg
WP_20151201_005.jpg WP_20151201_006.jpg

There are a lot of stats shown in tiny graphics and a chart based on the team's final result in last ten years of CL.
WP_20151201_033.jpg WP_20151201_032.jpg
The club names are written in their national spelling (but cyrillic spelling was left out of course..)
WP_20151201_016.jpg

The team pages feature one shiny badge - actually very nice looking- 16 players in total, but 4 come in 2 player on 1 sheet sticker- numbered A & B.Those players are future prospects or well known players that are normally not in the starting line up. First I disliked the use of those tiny stickers very much but it adds a certain kind of variation and movement to the stiff order.
WP_20151201_010.jpg
The team captain is a shiny sticker.In comparison the star player is not.
WP_20151201_008.jpg WP_20151201_009.jpg
There is no 2nd Goalie and no team squad sticker, but the coach is printed under the CL logo. Why not do a sticker for the Coach?
Why printing the CL logo ?- maybe Topps originally planned on doing an Euro League section in the back of the album..?
WP_20151201_015.jpg

Between badge and goalkeeper appears the upper body of a team's star player printed in full page size.
WP_20151201_007.jpg
This picture does not exist on the pages of Juve and Roma.The italian clubs don´t have the 4 tiny stickers but have big stickers for all players.
WP_20151201_014.jpg
On the backside of these stickers they are still labeled with 247 A & 247 B for example.No one knows for sure what's the reason for this. It was already assumed here that Topps tries to smooth down italian Panini followers with this move..nice try.
WP_20151201_013.jpg

Underneath the badge the name of the stadium of each team and it's capacity is printed.For example Phillips stadium is called PSV stadium and Allianz arena is called football arena to leave out company names.
This is no surprise concerning uefa/fifa politics.
WP_20151201_019.jpg WP_20151201_011.jpg

The background for the player stickers comes from the same (fictional?) stadium varying only the point of view.Here Topps missed out on a big chance to use pictures of the real stadiums and level with Panini that are using city profiles backgrounds in Fifa 365.
Again two arcs separate the background in three pieces: one blue small side on the left, one small piece with the name of the group repeated a thousand times and the great part with the stadium background.

The players dates are printed on the left side of the empty space for the sticker ( only with the tiny two player stickers the side is varying alternately). The individual player stats are underneath. Only the name and nationality (flag of country) of the player is appearing on the sticker itself.

Middle page of the album has the order form attached. Actually it is no real order form but an operating instruction how to order and pay stickers the old fashioned way with confirmed transaction receipt and additional postcard..welcome to the 21 Century, Topps!
You can order up to 50 stickers for 0,18€ each - at least in Germany.

WP_20151201_017.jpg WP_20151201_018.jpg

Group H is only featuring the players of 3 teams. Lyon is only represented with the badge , the two team skirt stickers and a printed picture of the coach in the intro section of the group.
The reason for this could be players rights on personal pictures.To leave out a whole squad is much more annoying than having already printed players profiles..
WP_20151201_034.jpg

Road to Milano is two double pages first showing all match dates of the group stage and the final rounds. Some results are already printed others can be filled in.

It is followed by a "players to watch" section.The name is quite misleading. In German translation it is written star spieler = star players.
Actually this is more an all star team but without the mega superstars like Messi or Ronaldo. But it is definetly not a future stars team when featuring Casillas, Cech and Pique..

Next comes the very controversial Finals section with all final matches that have taken place since the introduction of champions league in 93.
No team pictures just the throphy and the date on the sticker with the result beneath.
For Topps excuse the final result after penalties is printed underneath the sticker in a much more readable size.
Summarized a very unfortunate section.
WP_20151201_021.jpg

Next come the throphy winners of the last three years and the two leading goal scores of champions league competition.
WP_20151201_023.jpg WP_20151201_022.jpg

Followed by the star selfie sticker where you can create your own personalized sticker and the first ad -which is actually not an advertisement but uefa foundation for children.org notification.
WP_20151201_024.jpg

Women's champions league and ueafa youth league are featured with one page and one sticker.
WP_20151201_025.jpg WP_20151201_026.jpg

Page 96 explains all the symbols used and has a list of all nations.
First real advertisment( PES 2016)
WP_20151201_028.jpg WP_20151201_027.jpg

Backside cover shows the fictional CL arena and says edited in Rossija, Österreich, Switzerland, Espana and Deutschland.
WP_20151201_029.jpg WP_20151201_031.jpg

In the end this album is better than assumed, though it is not very inventive. Based on the Topps PL and bundesliga albums it is a good piece of basic work.
Nothing to get enthusiastic about like Panini's FIFA 365 milestone.

Last edited:

LFC1892

Contributor
Very good post Helios. I agree pretty much with everything apart from your last paragraph.

The album is poor in my opinion for many reasons and the main one is missing Lyon team squad.

Does not matter in regards to right issues with Lyon players, Topps must do their best to represent all 32 teams and they didn't and for me it is a failure and a cheap excuse for a product.

What are Lyon supporters supposed to do now? I would not buy it if I was a Lyon supporter for that reason alone.

Secondly, the finals section is very poorly thought off. Very lazy and a kop out of producing something worthwhile to the collectors.

A different colour background for each yeat ?Pffftt. My 10 year old lad would have done better, never mind a pro designer for Topps.

A generous 5/10 from me.

Pavle

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
@Mar Ce No, unfortunately I do not think I will manage to make one.

When the collection was announced one of Topps managers said to me on Twitter they will certainly be bringing lots of innovation.

By looking at his Twitter profile, he appears to be busy playing mini-golf instead of keeping the promise, which is very sad.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
@Helios great detailed review, I congratulate you for the patience ;) My suggestion is more for the readability of the post: it would be better if the pictures were placed after the respective paragraph, then we wouldn't need to go up and down to find and check the pictures.

Also, since it seems you like to do these reviews, you're more than welcome to write in the blog and you also get help from me or Pavle.

Baul de Futbol

Well, It's still dont published here in Chile, but there're some roumours about middle of months, or maybe January, since Panini will not publish nothing new here until March 2016.

Yeah, the "Finals" Section is quite aweful, a total quick fill.

fenerbahCHE

Contributor
I must be the only one who liked the finals section.

I associate these official finals posters with the official poster stickers in WC albums a bit...

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I must be the only one who liked the finals section.

I associate these official finals posters with the official poster stickers in WC albums a bit...
They're not "bad" to me, it's just they're boring as hell... Why not the real posters with the final score? Again licensing issues? And that penalties writing sucks, I got one of those stickers yesterday and even I, a guy who always had a good sight, couldn't almost read what was in it.

Btw, a portuguese kid told me in one of my videos that he got exactly the same 4 packs as I got in that video... So another proof that Topps really released identical boxes (at least Panini released similar boxes, not totally identical)