The 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread: Who will win, who you want to win?

FC Swiss

Who do you want to win the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP?

• BRAZIL

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • FRANCE

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • ENGLAND

• SPAIN

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • GERMANY

• BELGIUM

• ARGENTINA

• PORTUGAL

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • NETHERLANDS

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • OTHER

• DENMARK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CROATIA

• Total voters

Vortep

Let's comment on the upcoming World Cup.

Who do you want to win? Who do you think WILL win regardless of your wishes?

This are the official odds for the winner:

2022 World Cup odds

Brazil +450
France +550
England +600
Spain +750
Germany +1000
Argentina +1000
Belgium +1200
Portugal +1200
Netherlands +1400
Denmark +2800
Croatia +3500
Uruguay +5000
Poland +6500
Senegal +6500
USA +8000
Serbia +8000
Switzerland +8000
Mexico +10000
Ghana +15000
Ecuador +15000
Wales +20000
Morocco +20000
Cameroon +25000
Canada +25000
Japan +25000
Ukraine +25000
Qatar +25000
Peru +25000
Tunisia +30000
Scotland +40000
South Korea +40000
Australia +40000
Iran +50000
Saudi Arabia +50000
New Zealand +100000
Costa Rica +150000

Vortep

My vote for who I WANT to win is: Germany. I always support the Die Mannschaft.

Who WILL win? I think Brazil.

Vortep

Really nice that vice-champions isn't even listed. Like usual, underestimated from everyone.
The poll had only 10 options, and I posted the top 9 by odds and one Other option. Nothing personal against Croatia. Love their team! BUT they will not win. No chance. :D

claudio7788

Patron
My wish: As unfortunately Italy will not participate my wish is that Vini Jr. wins his first World Cup with Brazil in a beautiful final against France or Croatia
Who will win: Brazil

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My wish is obvious :p But who I think will win? My predictions always suck... Main factor for me will be which teams adapt better to Qatar climate (even if it's colder at the time)... 2014 shown us Germany adapted well, but Brazil are natural for it... also, I think it's time another south american winning a WC, so either Brazil with (finally!) a great team or Argentina because Messi at last got a title with Argentina..... final decision: Brazil.

Iulian

I'm hoping for a final between Argentina and Portugal. A final showdown between two of the greatest players of all time and a spectacular game to end an era, although their stars are already fading.

Vortep

I'm hoping for a final between Argentina and Portugal. A final showdown between two of the greatest players of all time and a spectacular game to end an era, although their stars are already fading.
Oh god, no! The teams I want the least to win are Argentina, Portugal and Spain...

Other than Germany I would love to see Belgium win the title, or even the Netherlands.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Oh god, no! The teams I want the least to win are Argentina, Portugal and Spain...

Other than Germany I would love to see Belgium win the title, or even the Netherlands.
Out of curiosity, why you don't want those teams to win? I feel some kind of prejudice to those nations just because of Messi and Ronaldo... Spain maybe because of Real/Barcelona or the playing style?

My vote : England

My wish , like 2006-2010-2014-2018 , a european team :cool:
England is getting close indeed, maybe this is the year.

Iulian

Hahaha well mine is more of a wet dream. I don't have a team that I wish it wouldn't win, maybe except Qatar for the way they became hosts. And I hope they won't get the referee push that South Korea got in 2002.

Germany has one of the best chances if Flick combines the Bayern nucleus with youngsters like Adeyemi and Nmecha.

England, Argentina, Spain, The Netherlands, and Belgium have amazing players but they don't form good teams together. At least for England and Argentina, this has been the story for 30 years now.

Brazil might win since the players won't be in a country where they can party non-stop like they did in 2006.

France has too many egos in the team and they're a bit too smug after 2018, quite visible last year at the Euros. I see that working against them again this year.

All in all, my money is on Portugal, a team with a world class player in almost every position but better forged relationships. Also, I'm counting on Cristiano's desire and ego. We'll come back to this thread on Christmas and see who guessed it right. :)

Vortep

Out of curiosity, why you don't want those teams to win? I feel some kind of prejudice to those nations just because of Messi and Ronaldo... Spain maybe because of Real/Barcelona or the playing style?
It's not big of a secret. I dislike Spain because in their 3 consecutive titles run they beat some of my fav teams and I started to despise them for winning all the time and their teams Barca and Real wining almost all the time. There was like 10 years where Spain won everything and made it boring. (yeah, stupid reason). Portugal I don't like because of Ronaldo's ego, and they had one of the most disgusting players I have ever seen. Pepe. Because of that guy I now hate the whole damn country (in football only ofc). Argentina I don't like since child because I never liked Maradona and think he is ECTREMELY overrated.

I'm usually big fan of England, but the recent years their country really fell down in my eyes, and some of their players are just to in love with themselves and grew to big of egos. It is ironic my favorite team in English, when I really don't like England.

Germany is my country in terms of support since child. I just love their philosophy, mentality and teamwork. There is never big egos or huge star to take the shine. It's a team's team.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It's not big of a secret. I dislike Spain because in their 3 consecutive titles run they beat some of my fav teams and I started to despise them for winning all the time and their teams Barca and Real wining almost all the time. There was like 10 years where Spain won everything and made it boring. (yeah, stupid reason). Portugal I don't like because of Ronaldo's ego, and they had one of the most disgusting players I have ever seen. Pepe. Because of that guy I now hate the whole damn country (in football only ofc). Argentina I don't like since child because I never liked Maradona and think he is ECTREMELY overrated.

I'm usually big fan of England, but the recent years their country really fell down in my eyes, and some of their players are just to in love with themselves and grew to big of egos. It is ironic my favorite team in English, when I really don't like England.

Germany is my country in terms of support since child. I just love their philosophy, mentality and teamwork. There is never big egos or huge star to take the shine. It's a team's team.
Well, I almost nailed the reasons then :) Your justifications are acceptable for the three teams, though indeed you're basically disliking teams and countries for just one or two reasons... Kinda petty, don't you think? :p

I for example, can say that France is a personal and probably a general portuguese football hate for a myriad of reasons running through different eras... players, matches, personalities, even a referee! I can remember a bunch of them right of the bat... no hate on all you french collectors here, love you all :D But the rest... can't say I have a team or nation I dislike, even if there's one or another reason.

I have a some players I will never like at all... one is Arturo Vidal, I can't stand how he behaves both in the pitch or in his personal life... and yet, I don't despise Chile, quite the opposite, they had a very entertaining team to watch in the past years... Uruguay for example is a team I never liked much, even more with Suarez there, but they have there Cavani (amazing guy imo!) and of course, Seba Coates, Sporting CP captain... not easy to dislike a whole nation when there's also someone to like too.

Speaking of Pepe, I also have a love/hate feeling for him, as I obviously love him when he's the most dedicated player in the portuguese team (and let's not forget he was born in Brazil, but he's more portuguese than most I saw playing for Portugal), but then he has that "hot head", almost killing instinct, which is more visible to me being a club rival supporter (oh yes, I called him some ugly names during Porto matches!)... bear in mind though, he's still the best center-back Portugal had in the past 15 years and maybe the best ever.

Agree with Germany. The moment they start to have some big ego, they crash hard, but quickly overcome.

Btw, I'll hardly ever hate on your country... Told you before, Balakov :) Same for Denmark with father and son Schmeichel.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
All in all, my money is on Portugal, a team with a world class player in almost every position but better forged relationships. Also, I'm counting on Cristiano's desire and ego. We'll come back to this thread on Christmas and see who guessed it right. :)
Heh, you're missing a key point: portuguese emotion. We have the best team I ever saw playing for my country, but trust me, we fail in decisive moments (2016 was some kind of error, everything went completely the opposite!)... I'm not placing them more than a QF (another portuguese trait: pessimism!)... But of course, I sincerely hope you're right... I'll be extremely happy, you'll be extremely rich :cool:

chriswiggy

Patron
Heh, you're missing a key point: portuguese emotion. We have the best team I ever saw playing for my country, but trust me, we fail in decisive moments (2016 was some kind of error, everything went completely the opposite!)... I'm not placing them more than a QF (another portuguese trait: pessimism!)... But of course, I sincerely hope you're right... I'll be extremely happy, you'll be extremely rich :cool:
Is anyone going to Qatar? If so, should we start a new thread to discuss match tickets, accommodation etc or should we leave that for other forums? I have match tickets for two quarter finals but no flights or accommodation. I haven't decided yet whether to go or not.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Is anyone going to Qatar? If so, should we start a new thread to discuss match tickets, accommodation etc or should we leave that for other forums? I have match tickets for two quarter finals but no flights or accommodation. I haven't decided yet whether to go or not.
Feel free to post a new thread for it (under this same section, Offtopic) or in case you plan to sell them, use the selling section.

Joel9

Well not gonna lie but as a portuguese i would go nuts if we win it, considering it could be the last chance for Ronaldo to win it too, even though i think he will still be here in 2026 maybe not as the star player but more like a older experienced player like we had carvalho alves and some others in the 2016 team, i would not want france or germany to win it france because like what @dantzig said football wise we have a little hate towards the french team, and also against germany i would say, mostly because we usually lose to them in advanced stages of competitions, so those 2 are no goes to me argentina too sorry but i would love that ronaldo win it before messi nothing against him but is my patriotism talking here , in the end i think other than portugal i would put brazil in there, in the end as said before all depends on adaptability to the weather and all of those things, just hope that the better teams wins with no controversies at the end

MrKoko

The team i like is Portugal, of course.
But the team will win it's Italy. Oh, wait...they're home.
So, i will put my money in Brasil or France.:p