"Stuck On You" book

AndyR

the guy who wrote it follows me on twitter. He's always been very polite when commenting on my timeline... he was one of the guys who the Sun Newspaper featured as an "adult collector" of World Cup stickers during the last world cup when the sun was basically bantering about collecting, however it ensured absolutely loads of adults collected the world cup sticker collections from then on in the UK as a kind of cult one off thing. Pavle was featured in the newspaper also as i remember sending him the cuttings. He gave a great interview as well, came across really well.
The author is an 80's kid so i would guess has a load of schoolyard stuff in it to rekindle people's memories.
I must admit i've never read it, would probably buy a copy if it was reduced to a fiver. Worth a fiver of anyone's money even people who don't read books like me!!

Have you got a copy @Makhno ??

Ceesmk

I have and read the book
It's about the history of Panini in UK, with lots of short stories (for example the incredible negociations between Daily Morror and The Sun to promove Panini Football 87); it shows the evolution of the british market and the place of Panini; it begins with WC 2014 as an introduction, and after the real start begins with Top Sellers and FKS albums. About 8 pages with pictures of covers or packs.

AndyR

Also a 2nd stuck on you book is in the pipeline so exciting times for the guy. There's no doubt he loves his stickers.
like the tv documentary it will probably feature more of merlin (topps) this time in addition to Panini i reckon.

AndyR

Thanks @AndyR The documentary will be on ITV4 on the 14th November... I’ve just read it on the author’s twitter page.
Great article in the Mail today... Portrays the decline in sticker sales in the UK when Merlin (Topps) took over the Premier League licence from Panini in 1993 and the re-incarnation of old skool collectors for the Panini World Cup albums in the UK which boosted sales of stickers again!
S1870017.JPG S1870018.JPG S1870019.JPG S1870020.JPG

AndyR

May be a youtube uploading will be more helpful for everyone outside UK!!
copyright infringement on youtube will stop anyone trying to do that i would think? Im sure it will be able to be watched legally on the ITV player afterwards if that is more helpful.

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Hi @AndyR @Jamiepr74 @Lippysoandso and everyone else of course! Did you watch the documentary?

I thought it was superb and very informative. I literally had no idea about how Merlin was formed out of Panini and the business behind it all.

Interesting to hear how WWF kick-started Merlin when they were almost going out of business.

Great seeing Ryan Giggs go from collector to footballer to collector again (I may of exaggerated the last bit!)

AndyR

Hi @AndyR @Jamiepr74 @Lippysoandso and everyone else of course! Did you watch the documentary?

I thought it was superb and very informative. I literally had no idea about how Merlin was formed out of Panini and the business behind it all.

Interesting to hear how WWF kick-started Merlin when they were almost going out of business.

Great seeing Ryan Giggs go from collector to footballer to collector again (I may of exaggerated the last bit!)
i havent watched it yet Rob. was saving it for an evening once the grand prix darts had finished so I guess will watch sometime this week. Looking forward to it based on what you say. looking at the feed on twitter on the reviews I also saw another doc I think you may enjoy though called "Get Shirty" basically about the football replica shirts and when they were introduced in the 80s... that sounds pretty good also will have to look out for that on repeats as missed it when was on last year apparently.