(PRE-RELEASE) Panini Euro 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helios

Contributor
You Are right those counting games are fascinating.
I was just looking it up for myself cause I heard in sports news that Hungary have good chances to qualify directly.
Equal to Buffon who once told he admired Borussia Mönchengladbach just because of the long, complicated name it's with me and the 'Magyarország' national team.

Latvia play at home and a draw is enough for Hungary..;-)

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You Are right those counting games are fascinating.
I was just looking it up for myself cause I heard in sports news that Hungary have good chances to qualify directly.
Equal to Buffon who once told he admired Borussia Mönchengladbach just because of the long, complicated name it's with me and the 'Magyarország' national team.

Latvia play at home and a draw is enough for Hungary..;-)
Indeed, Latvia match is in their home, so even more chances to Hungary... And Turkey match is also not easy against Iceland... Maybe Turkey qualifying as best 3rd place is as almost impossible to achieve as Netherlands still going to play-off.

Helios

Contributor
Great individual players not automatically build a good team --> Holland.

Same with man city internationally, but at least successful in their domestic league .

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Indeed, Latvia match is in their home, so even more chances to Hungary... And Turkey match is also not easy against Iceland... Maybe Turkey qualifying as best 3rd place is as almost impossible to achieve as Netherlands still going to play-off.
Almost impossible, but that's what happened... Turkey won against Iceland almost at the end, Kazhakstan won in Latvia, so Turkey will go as 3rd best place, relegating Hungary to play-offs.

As for Netherlands, a campaign to forget... A shame we'll miss a lot of good players, but I'm sure they'll get back up for Russia 2018.

Croatia managed to surpass Norway as 2nd best, after winning just by 1 in Malta, while Norway lost in Italy... Bosnia almost missed the playoff, when it was losing 2-1 against Cyprus, but they managed to win 2-3 (draw was enough, with Israel losing in Belgium).

So, playoffs will have Bosnia, Ukraine, Ireland, Slovenia, Hungary, Sweden, Norway and Denmark... With three nordic teams, it's possible to have a "nordic derby".

Helios

Contributor
So, playoffs will have Bosnia, Ukraine, Ireland, Slovenia, Hungary, Sweden, Norway and Denmark... With three nordic teams, it's possible to have a "nordic derby".
Just heard,that there will be four seated teams which will be the higher ranked ones to avoid a titan clash.
Clear disadvantage for the underdogs cause they can't play each other.
The task will be too high for Hungary.Such a hard knock with Latvia losing and the last minute Turks ..damn

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just heard,that there will be four seated teams which will be the higher ranked ones to avoid a titan clash.
Clear disadvantage for the underdogs cause they can't play each other.
The task will be too high for Hungary.Such a hard knock with Latvia losing and the last minute Turks ..damn
Yes, it's always like that in UEFA playoffs, be national or club teams... In this case, according to UEFA ranking, the seeded teams are Ukraine (9), Bosnia (15), Denmark (17) & Sweden (20)... Ireland is 21st, right behind Sweden, but they'll face one of the four... Of course, this was done in September, maybe there are changes to table and the seeded teams.

Hungary is not even seeded, so any of those four they can face is a bit superior.

EDIT: Wait, Hungary is actually the 4th seeded team, as they got points in these last matches, while Denmark didn't play and felt exactly behind Hungary... Everyone can check here.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I wouldn't bet on it. We will miss Russia 2018 too.
Be positive, it's almost impossible for a team like Netherlands to miss two straight tournaments... England also missed in 2008 and they had an "easy" qualification to WC 2010... Though it has to be said that strong teams missing this tournament would be hard, because Euro tournament now has 24 teams.

Luthiery

I have prepared a suggestion of squads for the album (with 20 players and one shiny "star" player). How can I send it to panini? Do they accept suggestions by common people?

Helios

Contributor
Be positive, it's almost impossible for a team like Netherlands to miss two straight tournaments... England also missed in 2008 and they had an "easy" qualification to WC 2010... Though it has to be said that strong teams missing this tournament would be hard, because Euro tournament now has 24 teams.
If they really stick with the blind coach this could easily come true..
After the game yesterday he should quit by himself .Being down 0:3 in a do or die match at home says everything..Cruyff is right with his position. Incompetence all around the national team .

Manfred

It is not a matter of statistics, it's is about quality. And I have to admit that we don't have it. That was already the case in Brazil BUT because of Robben, Van Gaal and luck a little wonder happened. But without those 3 the low quality of Dutch football became pretty obvious that we don't have quality anymore.

If they really stick with the blind coach this could easily come true..
After the game yesterday he should quit by himself .Being down 0:3 in a do or die match at home says everything..Cruyff is right with his position. Incompetence all around the national team .
After the game the KNVB (Dutch Football Association) stated that stick with Blind as a coach......

Last edited by a moderator:

Helios

Contributor
After the game the KNVB (Dutch Football Association) stated that stick with Blind as a coach......
Generally I prefer not to switch coaches every few months.
But what are the perspectives for both sides?

Manfred

You are so right, Helios. And there are no alternatives either. Maybe we should focus on Euro 2020......

Helios

Contributor
Hey, at least you're not a USA soccer fan. The struggle is real here. We are in absolute shambles right now.
to be honest..Klinsmann might be a good motivator, but for tactics he had Jogi..:p

He already stated that he would not do it.
Never say never.He is the only choice I see to get things going in a right way again.
I don´t think there´s a lack of good players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Manfred

He will be a manager, but not the coming years. He knows there is a gap in quality players (plus he was offended by the KNVB, he was promised that position). Look at the UEFA club rating, the Dutch rating is going down the last couple of years. Dutch teams lose against teams of Cyprus (ADO Den Haag), Luxemburg ! (FC Utrecht) and Scotland (FC Groningen). In my country I'm not the only one who sees that.

Status
Not open for further replies.