• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Panini Mexico 1986 (Review + discussion)

Pavle

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Mexico 86 was a 5th World Cup album by Panini Figurine. It is one of those albums that remind you on your childhood. Thought it was not something extraordinary, it became quite a popular collectable.

World Cup ´86 took place in Mexico. Matches were played on 12 different stadiums and 9 cities.

General information :
  • 1-427 stickers
  • Stickers size : 49 x 69 mm
  • Album : 48 pages
  • Album size : 240х270 mm
  • Softcover album, multilingual
  • Distribution : worldwide
  • Publisher : Panini
To get more info on the content of Mexico 86 and a complete sticker album review, check out this blog post I wrote.

You can use this thread to discuss this album. If you wish to swap your Mexico 86 stickers, please go to TRADE AREA and post your lists there in the adequate topic.

In this first post I would like to present to you different versions of this collection that appeared around the globe.

Different versions of Mexico 86 Album

INTERNATIONAL
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 INTERNATIONAL VERSION.jpg

DANISH
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 DANISH VERSION.jpg

ENGLISH
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 ENGLISH VERSION.jpg

GERMAN Version
Panini Mexico 1986 WK German Version Deustschland free.jpg WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 GERMAN VERSION.jpg
This album variation is a free version of album that was available in Germany together with 2 packets inside.

YUGOSLAV VERSION
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 YUGOSLAV VERSION.jpg

Guatemala 1
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 GUATEMALAN VERSION 1.jpg
Guatemala 2
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 GUATEMALAN VERSION 2.jpg

Brazilian
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 POURTUGESE VERSION 1.jpg
Portuguese 1
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 POURTUGESE VERSION 2.png
Portuguese 2
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 POURTUGESE VERSION 3.jpg

Venezuelan
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 VENEZUELAN VERSION.jpg

YUGOSLAV ERROR VERSION
Panini Mexico 86 Panini 1986 Miss print yugoslav error front.jpg

It is hard to explain why this album has 1986 printed on it. After speaking with some experts and even people who used to work in Decje Novine, they told me it was probably either a miss print or a test version. Meaning that this version was not in official sale. So its pretty much a mistery. Funny thing is that I have one of these miss prints. Never seen any other, not sure how rare they are and how many were printed. Obviously front cover has 1986 printed on it as you can see, everything else is absolutely the same. Back is the same as normal YU edition.

Colombian
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 COLOMBIAN VERSION.jpg
Quite interesting and the most different album of all. Obviously front cover is entirely different.

STICKER PACKETS

Bellow is a list of all different sticker packets of Mexico 86 that we are aware of. Have info on any other? Please add it in the comments, and I will update the post.

INTERNATIONAL

WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 INTERNATIONAL VERSION STICKER PACKET.jpg

INTERNATIONAL 2

WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 INTERNATIONAL VERSION STICKER PACKET 2.jpg

YUGOSLAV
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 YUGOSLAVIAN VERSION STICKER PACKET.jpg

OMAGGIO (ITALY)
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 OMAGGIO VERSION STICKER PACKET.jpg

PICGRIN
WORLD CUP MEXICO 1986 PICGRIN VERSION STICKER PACKET.jpg

STICKERS VARIATIONS

INTERNATIONAL
Mexico 86 Panini #84.jpg
YUGOSLAV (DN logo on the back, different colors)
panini 86 mexico stickers decje novine yugoslav variation (1).jpg

Yugoslav badges (not shiny)
PANINI MEXICO 86 EXTRA STICKERS BADGES YUGOSLAV.jpg

COLOMBIAN VERSION BADGES
PANINI MEXICO 86 EXTRA STICKERS COLOMBIAN.jpg

Vache Qui Rit
PANINI MEXICO 86 EXTRA STICKERS.jpg PANINI MEXICO 86 EXTRA STICKERS 2.jpg PANINI MEXICO 86 EXTRA STICKERS 3.jpg
More details about Vache Qui Rit set, can be found in this post created by Makhno.

Venezuelan stickers
Similar to the World Cup 1982 Spain album edited by Cromos Venezuelanos, stickers in Venezuelan version of album are different and considered a variation. You can see photos of this album by checking second part of this post.

Thanks everyone for contributing, if you have some more info to add, please let me know and I will gladly update this guide. You can also use this topic to chat about this collection.

Last edited:

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have an almost empty album (1 sticker inside) from Portuguese version 2 and also had an UK version album with only 6 stickers, but I sold it... Also had a complete album in very bad shape, so I removed the stickers and put them inside a dossier with plastic pages.

Btw Pavle, Portuguese 1 is Brazilian (they say Copa Mundial, we say Campeonato do Mundo), so it would be better to change it.

Pavle

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
@Danju Is that a German version?
@dantzig Thanks Carlos, I have added the info about Portuguese and Brazilian. I honestly took a guess there I knew there must be a difference in those 3. Mystery solved :)

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
I confirm The "Vache Qui Rit" stickers variation."Vache Qui Rit" is a famous industrial cheese brand in France. These stickers were available in the famous round box that every french child knows very well.
la-vache-qui-rit-boite-90-ans-1.jpg

Here is the sticker back :

WC 86 Vache Qui Rit stickers back.jpg

In addition with these stickers, you could order a poster from Vache Qui Rit to stick in at the end of the tournament the 2 finalist players.

WC 86 Extra Poster Vache qui Rit.JPG

Like the Spain 82 album there is a venezuelan edition for this WC 86 album edited by Cromos Venezolanos.
Stickers were different from the International edition : with number on the upper left corner and no shiny sticker.

WC 86 Venezuelian edition front cover.jpg

WC 86 Venezuela, edition stickers difference.JPG

WC 86 Venezuelian edition inside 4.jpg

Last edited:

Pavle

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
@Danju I added your update to the first post. Thanks

@Makhno Linked to your post from original, since it was really well written there is no need for me to add anything further. Good job.
By the way I used to love that cheese! We had it here in the 90´s I think (maybe even today). Yuumy!

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
I found on the net a strange shiny sticker variation picture from an unknown edition from Asia. Everyone has information ?

WC 86 shiny sticker maybe chinese edition UNKNOWN.JPG

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
Pavle, you forgot to say that some yugoslavian stickers were missprinted : the player's name is right on his shirt instead of being lower on the white frame of the sticker.

WC 86 Yugo edition sticker error 3.jpg

WC 86 Yugo edition sticker error 1.jpg

The question is : a certain amount of stickers were missprinted (like spanish players) and well known or every sticker of the album could be printed like that ?

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
I really want to know if there is a complete checklist of the "missprinted stickers" edited in former Yugoslavia (for example : all the spanish players, 12 players of Bulgaria, etc) or if every sticker of this album can possibly be missprinted. Someone who got this album edition could check with the 2 pictures I left in my former post (Spain and Bulgaria). Thanks guys !

Hi everybody. Missprinted stickers in my album are:

BULGARIA: All stickers except: Krasimir Koev, Zivko Gospodinov, Rusi Gotchev, Stoiko Mladenov
SPAIN: All stickers
URUGUAY: Victor Diogo, Nelson Gutierrez, Eduardo Acevedo, Jose Batista, Sergio Santin, Carlos Aguilera, Jorge Da Silva, Fernando Alvez.
POLAND: Kazimierz Przybys, Andrzej Buncol, Jan Furtok, Andrej Palasz

Thats all in my album

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
Thank you very much Toni. Do you know if there are some missprinted stickers in other FY albums of WC or Euros ?
By the way, I love your avatar !

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
I already saw them but don't know where they come from. We have the same problem with WC 90 stickers with similar backside and with no logo on the front side ;

WC 90 NO LOGO UNKNOW STICKERS.jpg