Panini Mexico 1970 (Review + discussion)

Rojocapo

Hi! I can confirm that in Argentina you can buy these albums at very cheap prices. I had many pannini completed albums when i was younger, and with the run of the years and moving they got lost :( so on a recent trip to Argentina to visit my Family i decided to purchase these albums back.

Just so you have an idea, i bought France 98 complete mint for 500 pesos ( 50 dollars) and the newer ones even cheaper. I was extremely happy.

Now you do have to be very careful in something, and check for some bad copies ( originals mixed )...
Ill explain a little better. I did purchase another album and noticed some stickers were thin looking and just didn't match that well, What they did is get the album and fill original as much as they have and the rest the used cut outs of the Replica version albums, so basically printed pictures are used to fill in any missing players they have.
Luckily the seller had no problem on returning my money.

But Yes i will save my money and buy over there more next time i go. What you can get there with 200-300 in the USA it cost 500-600 easily.

Caniggia

Contributor
in the morning I met one collector from my city, we use to do some exchange

he told me something interesting, his copy of Mexico 70 is incredible, album empty plus set of cards! Top quality.. never seen before, of course no fake album or cards. I asked him about idea of value, he told me 12000 euro minimum ... and this is due to crisis, 6/7 years ago was around 18/20000 euro!

Maybe .. but i really don't think someone could be able to spend this amount of money... What do you think about?

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
Patron
@Caniggia. I can't really answer because all of this is part of some corner of the collector world I don't belong to ! I can remember that a set like the one you describe + empty album has been sold a year ago on Ebay for around 7 or 8 000 dollars. It is half the price your friend told you. But regarding this album, the most expensive of the Panini World, I guess the price don't really mean something. It is like art market. If a rich collector decides he can pay 35 000 euros for this piece very very rare, then the price is 35 000 euros.

Pavle

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Agreed with both about the value. No way.
Mexico 70 empty album and loose card set got sold for 10000 dollars during the latest WC.
Currently there is no way that your fellow collector is realistic.

Lyta

Proffessional reprints indeed exist since worldwide market for these things is real and collectors tend to pay a lot. I do not know who makes them but many sellers, especially those on ebay who sell hundreds of old albums are obviously able to get them. They buy old albums, fill them with missing stickers and sell at premium price. There might be cutouts from printed versions too, as Rojocapo wrote, but those are rather amateurs, pros do get quality reprints.
Since nearly all of those albums are authentic, the only way to differ old stickers from new ones is if these are laser printed, while original ones were of course offset printed. You can google how to see the difference. If stickers are glued, and they normally are, this is more or less the only simple way to tell the difference. Other would be using proffessional services by some paper forensic company or paper age dating lab.
Of course there are enough authentic albums too, but you basically never know what you are buying. This is not only Panini related, simmilar stories are happening with old used tickets and ticket stubs andother printed stuff.

Caniggia

Contributor
The matter is fakes copie started to be printed end of '60s for first CALCIATORI albums and end of 70's for MEXICO 70.. this is reason why is quiet hard to recognize originals. The only way to be absolute sure is buying from someone who has taken at newspapers shops in 1970! I'm working on it since long time ... ;)

Pei

My friend wants to sell a full set of the Israeli team of Panini 70' and a full set of FKS world cup 1970.
He's asking how much this kind of set worth in its condition ? and of course willing to sell if any are interested.

10985893_10204258801970120_7126365835714008998_n.jpg

11118461_10204258803010146_968351304595465383_n.jpg

10929069_10204258802570135_2566435084566084325_n.jpg

10985963_10204258804370180_1642626193731087024_n.jpg

Pavle

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The best he can do is take a look at ebay.co.uk for FKS album and see the pricing there. Single Mexico 70 stickers can be checked on eBay.com. It will give him a pretty decent estimate on how much are these items worth currently.

stickersCat

Patron
Hi, also exist 2 versions of Panini WC mexico 70, first Aprile 70 and second Maggio 70. Do you know why Caniggia?

img427.jpg paniniworldcupwinners-mexico70-1.jpg

Caniggia

Contributor
It is first and second print. Probably Panini didn't suppose to have a big success so they had to reprint the album. In Italy you can't print again without writing "reprint" or "second edition". About comics in past there was a different way. The editor make declaration of (for example) 100.000 copies printed. Real they have printed only 50.000 but if they need more copies they can do without make a new declaration and without writing on comic 2nd edition or reprint. This is the main problem about collecting first editions, you can recognize sometimes because they have changed price or for some small changes inside..

Anyway about Panini Mexico 70, every album of Panini is part of series "LE GRANDI RACCOLTE PER LA GIOVENTU'". Was also same for Brasil 2014, the main difference is where there is text written. Until last year was small close to italian flag in the back cover. Now and only for Italy is again in front cover... and I like it.

p.s. april 1970 is more rare

Last edited:

Caniggia

Contributor
Of course these are the italian albums, there is also the 3rd edition with international cover (the red one) ... but I mean, having one complete is more than enough, who cares which edition, not? :)

CSKA Sofia Forever

Hi guys, it is so much fun to have this forum! I learned so many things about a number of Panini collections. I do believe that once you become a Panini fan, it is for life :)
There is one more (hard to say exactly) version of the packs - the double pack. It was attached to the inner side of the covers in the Italian edition (like the double pack in the German 1986 World Cup album). The two packs in the double pack are the Italian "asterisk" version (number 4 in Pavle's list).

Attachments

CSKA Sofia Forever

Hi Pete, I asked the guy whether these are real packs with stickers (another version). Here is his reply: "They are completely empty. It is the paper as it comes out from the printing machine."
Probably some experiment on Panini Bros' machine (the one we can see on Caniggia's pictures in the STICKERS STORIES, HISTORY, EXPERIENCES AND EXPO/MEETING REPORTS section) :)

CSKA Sofia Forever

Hi guys i am a new member... i have a present for you... View attachment 2853
Wow, is this a sealed pack?

Update (28.01.16): Just confirmed by a long-time Panini 1970 collector - this version does exist! It must be ultra rare, though. Does anyone know anything about its origin? It does not have an "omaggio" stamp, so it has not been sold along with some comics or newspapers.

Last edited: