Panini Adrenalyn XL FIFA World Cup Russia 2018

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I am from Sweden so if it feels better, you can blame me for the price increase. ;)
Pretty sure there will be some jerks who will blame Sweden for just wanting to be in the best football competition.

Forgot about Iceland: that tiny country with just more than 300 thousand people, but more feverish about football than most countries in the world... Does Panini realize this too, the new opportunities for business or are they really crying for Italy? Maybe they do realize, but are still giving the italian excuse for rising prices and make some crappy collections? Because from what I see for now with Adrenalyn, it sure feels awfully similar to latest FIFA 365 (which is at least known for good quality).

Also, as an offtopic sidenote, I might also be upset due to Panini most likely ending a 14 or 15 year portuguese league card collection, which should have been released this month and there's an almost confirmed rumour they dropped the collection... So yeah, apologies for being rude.

D8ct9r

I see that I have started a fire here, which was not my intention, so let’s look at some other reasons why the price could go up, just to give more »suspects«.

For legal reasons (you guys play hard) I must say that I’m only speculating, but here it goes :p

I’m currently writing an article for CardzReview, where I’ll write more about this but just as a preview:

One reason could be in the fact that the licensing agreement between FIFA and Panini run between 2009 and 2015, but it was obviously renewed as we are getting the new 2018 Panini FIFA World Cup collection… The problem is we don’t know how much Panini had to pay for the renewal of the agreement, something we know for the 2009 – 2015. Also in 2011 Topps sued Panini for obstructing competition in the European market… In 2017 Panini won the lawsuit, but I bet that in 2015 Topps bid hard against Panini to win the rights, so maybe the prices of the Panini FIFA World Cup 2018 are now reflecting that bidding war... Also national associations may want more money, which we can’t check anywhere, so we have another 32 suspects.

Secondly when World Cup comes around Panini’s shareholders are looking to cash in… In 2013 they were looking to get EUR 1 billion to sell the whole company but were not successful as the buyer didn’t agree with a price (will check for the article that I mentioned if something significant has changed in the following 5 years). We also know that 2015 was a complete disaster financially, despite the introduction of FIFA 365 (especially outside of Europe) as sales declined form EUR 330 million to EUR 240 million, 2016 was probably a bit better with EURO and Copa America, but 2017 was for almost for sure another “off year”, so here comes 2018 and an opportunity to improve the result...

So there are many possible reasons why prices for WC2018 might (still saying might) go up, so please don’t go to the country level to “find the blame”…

If you really have to blame somebody blame Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar, who Panini paid EUR 175 thousand and EUR 50 thousand just to sign some cards :p

This issue could be easily solved, as I’m sure that somebody from Panini has already seen this topic, so maybe weigh in, or don’t, we’ll know the price in a couple of months :D

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Valid points @D8ct9r... I'm not into finance and such, so it's always good to have some insights about this.

It is known that Panini renewed FIFA licensing at the same time they dropped UEFA CL licensing (hence the reason for dropping CL and take advantage of the newly renovated FIFA licensing with FIFA 365)... Of course, they couldn't rise their prices at the time with no CL, an untested FIFA 365 and just a Road to Euro, which is why they immediately took the chance with Euro 2016.

However, they had a blast with 2014 World Cup, getting their best sales ever. Gladly, after that, they invested in some new approaches, with newer Adrenalyn models and different stickers... In my mind, you cannot expect an investment to pay off in such short notice and obviously 2015 was not the ideal year.

So, in the end, who's guilty for their poor results after 2014? Panini for sure, but glad you brought the shareholders issue, as they're are also very influential in this... In my country, we're having some serious problems with the postal company, which belonged to the state, but sold a few years ago during the crisis... Stock market was ecstatic, great profits there, but along the years, the company itself is losing it's roots, it focused on being a bank and nowadays, the basic and unique postal services are neglected, small letters taking days, registered mail taking days to deliver (a friend of mine just got one I sent after one week, when it should have just taken one day), there's essential post offices on the verge of closing (besides the dozens already closed when it was sold) and the results are not good... Yet, for the "bosses" and shareholders, there's even room for bonuses... So I'm not surprised if Panini can be held "hostage" of this too, it's one of the ugliest faces of capitalism.

There's people here who have some contact with Panini and with these forums being public to read, surely they are aware... What remains to know is if they will "hear" just a bunch of dedicated collectors, which I'm almost certain they will not... We're just a drop of water in the ocean and most of the "ocean" just want to collect it, even if there's a price increase... Yes, some will nag like us, others will threaten to not do the collection, but in the end, with some scarce exceptions, EVERYONE will collect.

Panini will just need to consider if they want to be known as a greedy company or an ethical company... Rising between 30/50% in both stickers and cards is a massive steal.

D8ct9r

There's people here who have some contact with Panini and with these forums being public to read, surely they are aware... What remains to know is if they will "hear" just a bunch of dedicated collectors, which I'm almost certain they will not... We're just a drop of water in the ocean and most of the "ocean" just want to collect it, even if there's a price increase... Yes, some will nag like us, others will threaten to not do the collection, but in the end, with some scarce exceptions, EVERYONE will collect.
And that's the truth, it will sell no matter the price.

It’s just that collectors that collect multiple collections per year get hit the most (for the most part I’m not one of them), but when World Cup comes around collectors are a minority and that's why I think that this community have a valid reason to feel offended or sad/angry with such a potential price increase with a collection that comes around every four years – “They/You” support Panini when World Cup is not just around the corner or to put it in a number that they understand...

Collectors like the ones on this site are the reason that profit of Panini declined just to EUR 23 million in 2015 (or EUR 6 million in 2013) and not to a loss even though “They/You” had little responsibilities for the profit of EUR 59 million in 2014.

Jza63

Nordic Edition products and prices to be in Finland:

Booster w 6 cards 2,50€
Starter 12,95€ (Binder, 4 boosters, 2 x LE, 1 XXL)
Giftbox 24,95€ (10 boosters, checklist poster, 2 x LE)
Pocket Tin 9,95€ (4 boosters, 2 x LE)

These with reservation for small changes... What ever that might mean...

Later on Mega Tin

So the price change estimations were spot on... Boosters and giftbox price up 25%, other products same price, less contents...

Helios

Contributor
@Jza63 : Any guess already about the specific content in nordic edition ?
I count on a extra set of Swedish, Islandic and Danish players/fans(S1 - S? ) at the end of the binder and hopefully no different numbering within.

Jza63

@Helios it would make sense to follow somehow the same pattern as in 2014 WC collection?
Was there some extra Icon cards in Nordic Edition or how was it? I really hope they don't mess the numbering between Int and Nordic collections. It has been a pain in the arse lately having to collect two parallel sets due to different numbers/cards.

@dantzig has been doing some good guessing lately so I'll leave the content speculation to Carlos... :)

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Nordic Edition products and prices to be in Finland:

Booster w 6 cards 2,50€
Starter 12,95€ (Binder, 4 boosters, 2 x LE, 1 XXL)
Giftbox 24,95€ (10 boosters, checklist poster, 2 x LE)
Pocket Tin 9,95€ (4 boosters, 2 x LE)

These with reservation for small changes... What ever that might mean...

Later on Mega Tin

So the price change estimations were spot on... Boosters and giftbox price up 25%, other products same price, less contents...
Pay up, you rich finnish! Panini says you're rich, so I believe them! :p

@Jza63 : Any guess already about the specific content in nordic edition ?
I count on a extra set of Swedish, Islandic and Danish players/fans(S1 - S? ) at the end of the binder and hopefully no different numbering within.
Since the collection seems similar to last FIFA 365, according to subsets, I wouldn't count on same numbering... However, Panini usually never changed much from WC to WC, so they might keep the same as 2014... However, this is more true for stickers, Adrenalyn only has 2 previous WC's... However, unlike FIFA 365, it's the same teams for both editions... However, Panini can insert those nordic cards in teams, messing with the numbers after the first team (perhaps Denmark, if it's alphabetically)... However......... Nah, I'm done (for now).

S letter is fitting for Panini for sure, because that's what they're being now, "S's".

@Helios it would make sense to follow somehow the same pattern as in 2014 WC collection?
Was there some extra Icon cards in Nordic Edition or how was it? I really hope they don't mess the numbering between Int and Nordic collections. It has been a pain in the arse lately having to collect two parallel sets due to different numbers/cards.

@dantzig has been doing some good guessing lately so I'll leave the content speculation to Carlos... :)
I did? It's the fun part currently, speculating what you might get... At least it's an escape from the price nightmare, talking about the collection itself and not about how my pocket will be so empty :(

2014 WC nordic edition had 10 extra cards, 5 Icons and 5 Goal Machines (usually one of each per box, though you could either be unlucky on not getting any or 4/5, like @AndyR got once (shared on a video)... Also some differences on card value, like some logos were tougher to get on nordic edition (due to Panini replacing them on sheet production for those nordic cards)... Still have some pictures of Panini uncut sheets from nordic edition :)

Last edited:

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well, I didn't notice this collection will be out even earlier in Germany... Expected in February 16th with the following products:
  • Starter Pack - 8,95€ (Binder + Guide + Gameboard + 4 Boosters + 1 Special Card + 1 Limited Edition)
  • Booster - 1,50€ (6 cards)
  • Display - 75€ (50 boosters)
  • Blister/Multipack - 5,90€ (4 Boosters + 1 Special Card + 1 Limited Edition)
  • Mini-Tin - 7,95€ (4 Boosters + 1 Special Card + 1 Limited Edition) (available March 2nd)
  • Mega-Tin - 14,95€ (8 Boosters + 1 Special Card + 3 Limited Edition) (available March 2nd)
  • Premium Pack - 5€ (10 cards = 6 Base + 3 Special Cards + 1 Limited Edition) (available March 20th)
  • Premium Gold Pack- 9,99€ (same as Premium Booster + 1 Special Card + 3 Limited Edition)
At least, seems the premium packs will be the same price... As for the others, it's what's been expected... Comparing with last big competition (Euro 2016), Panini either increases prices or decreases offer... Starter with one less booster pack, booster 50% more expensive (0.5€), blister/multipack 20% more expensive (1€) with one less booster and mega-tin 25% more expensive (3€).

Well done Panini, well done... Seasoned and loyal collectors won't forget this massive increase when you'll need them for other collections.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
UK release is scheduled to February 22nd, according to ClickDistribution. You can also check there what/when products will be released there, plus the feared, but confirmed retail price.

In case you're from US or Canada, this seems a good deal... Even cheaper than stickers :p

Also, some days ago, a polish youtuber released the following video with (maybe?) pictures from this collection LE's and some specials from the main set... Couldn't find them anywhere, so no confirmation they are the real deal.

Philip

UK release is scheduled to February 22nd, according to ClickDistribution. You can also check there what/when products will be released there, plus the feared, but confirmed retail price.

In case you're from US or Canada, this seems a good deal... Even cheaper than stickers :p

Also, some days ago, a polish youtuber released the following video with (maybe?) pictures from this collection LE's and some specials from the main set... Couldn't find them anywhere, so no confirmation they are the real deal.

It does say on the site (ClickDistribution) that they are packs with 9 cards, also in Europe ???

Kacper13

Hello,

I understand this guy, he's talking in my native language. He told that he got this pictures from his friend from Hungary, and friend from Hungary got them from friend in Germany. (Monopoly :D )
Anyway, he was also talking about prices. release date, and pictures which were on film.

Regards,
Kacper

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It does say on the site (ClickDistribution) that they are packs with 9 cards, also in Europe ???
UK always has packs with 9 cards, rest of the world is always 6. Is the same value as Euro (1.5), but GBP is more expensive... But if you compare booster packs prices, it's cheaper to buy in UK, as currently 1 GBP is around 1.13€, but you get 50% more cards for each UK pack.

Hello,

I understand this guy, he's talking in my native language. He told that he got this pictures from his friend from Hungary, and friend from Hungary got them from friend in Germany. (Monopoly :D )
Anyway, he was also talking about prices. release date, and pictures which were on film.

Regards,
Kacper
Thank you Kacper, good thing we have you here :) It does make sense, that polish guy follows my youtube channel (I follow him too) and I saw him getting plenty of rare LE's in the past, so he surely has good friends to help him... I noticed he put a screenshot from german prices, so I had the feeling the pictures were taken by a german, which are the first to get the cards... Seems some insider snatched a "few" good cards, hehe :cool:

Perhaps those LE's are the ones who will come out in Germany then? Seems like it, no?

And impressions about the cards, guys? So far, the few opinions I read were positive.

Last edited:

Kacper13

@dantzig Nice to heard them from you. Anyway, since I have used LastSticker, everyone collector from Hungary collect cards, I also remember one guy, who was using our forum, and I did stickers swap with him, he also collect cards as I remember - @mszaby The same username on LastSticker, so you can easy contact with him.
About date of release. The date came out from StickerPoint de. They will have this products on 16.02, but I think in Germany collection should come out in 15.02 In Poland, every card collection is going out on Tuesdays, or Thursdays only. Let's hope.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
About date of release. The date came out from StickerPoint de. They will have this products on 16.02, but I think in Germany collection should come out in 15.02 In Poland, every card collection is going out on Tuesdays, or Thursdays only. Let's hope.
German sellers (not only StickerPoint but others I saw) are all claiming to start sending by February 16th, so maybe the collection is available on german stores on the day before. No news from polish release date?

Usually, Hungary is also one of the first countries to receive these Adrenalyn collections, but since they're not in the World Cup, I don't know... In the previous collections like FIFA 365 and Euro 2016, they had clubs or the national team.

And still about the video... I noticed some LE's are from the premium edition (the picture with Higuain, Rakitic, Bernardo, James, Sterling, Kanté, Marcelo and David Silva), so assuming there's the usual 8, we know already what LE's will be released in the premium packets.

The first 14 we see are possibly from german blisters or multipacks (10 different) + 3 from german mega-tin and last one from either starter or mini-tin... My guess anyway.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
And still about the video... I noticed some LE's are from the premium edition (the picture with Higuain, Rakitic, Bernardo, James, Sterling, Kanté, Marcelo and David Silva), so assuming there's the usual 8, we know already what LE's will be released in the premium packets.

The first 14 we see are possibly from german blisters or multipacks (10 different) + 3 from german mega-tin and last one from either starter or mini-tin... My guess anyway.
Heh, didn't take long... Here's all products + limiteds that will be available in Germany in the next months:

germanInfo1.jpggermanInfo2.jpg

Last edited:

Kacper13

German sellers (not only StickerPoint but others I saw) are all claiming to start sending by February 16th, so maybe the collection is available on german stores on the day before. No news from polish release date?
I am not collecting cards, since I prefer stickers only. About date, there we have few small and bigger shops with cards only. They sometimes have also stickers for sale. Always, as I can see, album has price and German flag on backside. MaksCollection have been locatted in Wrocław (Silesian). This city isn't far away from Germany national border. I mean, they should have these products in their shop, when they collection will going out in Germany.

Kacper13

Heh, didn't take long... Here's all products + limiteds that will be available in Germany in the next months:
I also found this informations, in their site:

*zawiera - means contain

Since, there are cards more popular than stickers, Panini dind't make a sticker collection about our league. They are trying to make only cards collections. I also think, they should do some extra prizes, if you buy local newspaper, you can get extra limited card, issued only here.