Navarrete (3 Reyes) 2018 World Cup collection (non official album)

Pavle

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sad news, but kinda expected due to enormous publicity and demand for the album in Peru. Usually, when the collection gets suspended it becomes even more valuable in future.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Maybe the end for the "3 Reyes" album? Panini obtained from the Peruvian authorities the suspension of the sales due to the problems of copyright

https://elcomercio.pe/economia/peru/indecopi-ordena-suspender-venta-album-3-reyes-noticia-510092
Oh well, I don't see the "profit" for Panini with these legal issues... They should concern more about providing a better customer service there in Peru, which they clearly aren't doing, with so many people complaining there's everything sold out... First clean your house, then look at the others, or in this case, first clean your castle, then look at the other's shack.

Sad news, but kinda expected due to enormous publicity and demand for the album in Peru. Usually, when the collection gets suspended it becomes even more valuable in future.
That's the thing, there's been a huge demand for Panini stickers, but Panini is constantly failing them... Are they fighting against those resellers? Because a simple message posted online is not the way.

I'm sure 3 Reyes will find a way to, at least, get rid of the remaining stock they have. And we're going again into the "black market", with cheaper prices. Maybe 3 Reyes won't even get any loss, because now they don't have to pay distributors or taxes. I'm not seeing any clear advantage to anyone in this case.

Just to clarify: I'm not saying Panini shouldn't protect their rights. They should, they paid (a lot) for it, they have every right to complain. But 3 Reyes is not Topps, is not that opponent that is clearly taking away sales. I say it again, what's taking peruvian sales from Panini is Panini itself. And don't give again that "wait for it!" crap, people ARE waiting and you Panini are not providing.

Pavle

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Actually Reyes (Navarette) has been making albums since the '90s and I don't think they ever paid for any rights except for some Copa America thingy a while back. They've been making profits illegally for years, nobody touched them, now it's time to pay the price, they knew what they were getting into. Their profit margins are much higher than Topps, Panini or any other company that pays for the licensing rights. I do not feel sorry for them nor any other local manufacturer making money this way. And for all I know, they are not just "nobody" or the "poor guys". These guys have been making their buck for decade now. I don't know exact situation here so perhaps @Sergio Z can shad some light and provide more info regarding the situation in Peru.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yes Pavle, I know that and as I said in the end, I'm not against Panini protecting their rights and property... Just like @Ceesmk shared those news, there's more about those Panini vs Navarrete battle and you see here that Navarrete has paid quite a lot in fines over the last 20 years.

I'm just saying that, if Panini is so worried about illegal competition, then they should even be more worried about letting peruvians down with the constant breakdowns in distribution. First the people, then the rest... Resting aside the "small" Navarrete, which probably is big enough to get good profits, at least Panini should show they care first for their customers and finally supplying enough so there won't be stock failures or preventing resales as much as they can (even if you have to implement buying limits or go after the distributors).

Hopefully those scenarios we saw so far in Peru will not happen again and Panini learned their lesson... As for 3 Reyes, that's life, you don't pay licenses and fees, you don't get to sell. At least that Indocopi or whatever is doing their job properly.

Pavle

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That makes the matter even worse. They appeared to fight Panini's monopoly by breaking the legal agreements. It's obviously more profitable to them to just pay the fine and continue to print the album hoping to get away with it next year. It looks to me that that's their tactics, but as said we're neither Navarrete, Reyes or Panini, so we don't know the fully story here.
I agree with your point about them having to clean their garden first, the situation in Peru and supply chain issues is a total fiasco.
In the end it's the customers(collectors) that suffer. One more indicator that the barriers in the market need to be lower so that even smaller companies could afford to legally issue collections. Panini's doing good job at maintaining the #1 position for decades, if I was them, I'd probably try to do it the same ways, though it limits innovation in the hobby.

Last edited:

passat25

Imo, Navarrete albums were of better quality in the past. And I'm not talking about paper quality or price. I'm talking about production in general. Their albums were designed beautifully. Just look at these pages from the USA 94 album:

View attachment 9673

Now, look at this year's pages and you'll notice the difference. They've lost the taste for well designed albums. And you don't need to have official licenses and stuff. This is the best example.

A lot of people is buying Navarrete's album, mainly because of the price. Those who are complaining about Panini's insane prices are the most happy people with this album. They don't care about mistakes, many of them are just fanboys (or fangirls) who want an album with stickers from the Peruvian National team on it. :p
Funny this album omit Lalas, Balboa and Tab Ramos from their collection!.. Some of those players above never played a single minute in the USA 94 World cup.. I wonder if the Panini album for USA 94 had Lalas, Balboa and Ramos.