• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Merlin's Premier League 2018

LeicesterRob

Contributor
those spreaded neon colors look like a disco revival album :confused: lets hope for a better inside.
Two years ago the album was pretty decent with 500+ stickers and although it was in the same format as previous seasons it did have quite a few interesting features. Last year’s was just too small and yep the design of the new one is intriguing!

Edit: Just looking back and the total to collect for the past 5 seasons was as following:

2017: 344
2016: 503
2015: 542
2014: 352
2013: 352

Last edited:
Two years ago the album was pretty decent with 500+ stickers and although it was in the same format as previous seasons it did have quite a few interesting features. Last year’s was just too small and yep the design of the new one is intriguing!

Edit: Just looking back and the total to collect for the past 5 seasons was as following:

2017: 344
2016: 503
2015: 542
2014: ???
2013: 352
Just putting your mind at rest Rob, the 2014 collection had 352 stickers as well.........glad to be of help!

Update from Topps on Twitter today:

They say that there will be over 300 stickers again, but this could mean there are 301 ;)

It still won’t be as good as @OfficialPanini though or even Calciatori.......long way to go before @ToppsMerlin even emulate the glory days of the ‘80s.....

Obviously zero improvement on last year, am looking forward to Panini World Cup 2018 more!

Screen Shot 2017-11-25 at 16.41.11.png

LeicesterRob

Contributor
An interesting new feature announced by Topps/Merlin is that each team will have one limited sticker that will be shiny. These can be laid over the original sticker - certainly unique and different to collect the original sticker then to overlay it with a shiny version!

Sounds like they will be 1 in 10 packets and it could be quite tricky to collect all of them, as there's 20 in total (1 per team) - we'll see how that goes then!

As soon as I get my hands on an album I'll post some pictures (hopefully this week)...

1513104107593.png

Danju

An interesting new feature announced by Topps/Merlin is that each team will have one limited sticker that will be shiny. These can be laid over the original sticker - certainly unique and different to collect the original sticker then to overlay it with a shiny version!

Sounds like they will be 1 in 10 packets and it could be quite tricky to collect all of them, as there's 20 in total (1 per team) - we'll see how that goes then!

As soon as I get my hands on an album I'll post some pictures (hopefully this week)...

View attachment 9008
We are having this with Bundesliga too since 2 seasons, not that funny as it sounds first.
Problem is how to get them.
Last year there was 1 sticker only given away on topps tour that had only 3 stops across the country for just a single day. thats why this stickers increased to 30-35€ on auctions.
Others were just available in blisters or with different Football magzines .... look here.

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Evening All! I bought a starter set today for £2 and it included the album and three packets:

5024EB07-F59F-4581-9E33-8397DC3EE2BE.jpeg

The inside pages are simply designed with positions for 12 player stickers, 1 badge, 1 team shot and a double sticker for the home and away kits:

9074BD49-C5CD-4A6B-8F1D-FC71AEAC3170.jpeg

There are two sections for game changers and historical stickers in the middle of the album which I like:

1821B692-3FD3-4EF9-ADEE-9603B6AE3F28.jpeg
7DF6BF55-B319-4FBD-AB99-00933F161297.jpeg

It certainly cannot compete with the wonderful Calciatori albums (and is nowhere near as good as the Topps Fussball collections) but in my opinion it is probably on par with some of the lesser known Panini albums like the Austria and Cyprus editions.

More to follow... I will open some packets tonight and post some more pictures and thoughts!

Helios

Contributor
Oh man, I really like the graphic style , but 12 players per team is such a huge fail.
An additional page per team with another 9 (3x3) players -->21 players per team would have been appropriate.

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Good Afternoon Everyone! I opened three packets last night (yep they were the ones from the starter set) and I can share some pictures:

0135D679-174C-4743-8FE7-E313B4C99525.jpeg

First thoughts on stickers from my first packet...

+ Nice designs
+ Good view of team shirts

- A little flimsy in my opinion
- Purple frame not to my liking... but kinda works on the page.

There’s a mix of normal size stickers and larger ones too. The game changer sticker is in the bigger size.

Onto the next two packets and included inside them I get two team badges and the Liverpool team sticker.

5E72FA80-3C7E-42FF-8C89-87D4FBD6B724.jpeg

The badges aren’t as luxurious as I would like and are quite thin. The team photo is a larger one which helps you identify the players a little bit easier than the normal size ones.

So I plan to open 15 packets more tonight and I hope to see the first limited edition sticker from them - More to follow!

E053D22C-C7E0-4D05-8D3A-5C89ABB40F65.jpeg

First of all, I have to say that I do feel sorry for Topps with their latest edition of the Premier League sticker album for 2018. The Premier League have their particular demographic and typeset layout, and as Topps have the franchise, they have obviously have no option but to keep to it all and possibly stick to what the Premier League demand in their own product.

This years edition for me is a disappointment, but it has to be said that Topps / Merlin have produced some excellent albums in the past, particularly when they first had the rights for the 1994 season and for several years following. This album is pretty much identical to last years edition and has a “paint by numbers” feel to it as if you look at anything Premier League related, it all looks exactly the same, FIFA football on the games consoles, any merchandise, TV, and now the sticker album. If this sticker album was a TV programme for the Premier League that would be distributed around the world for football fans to learn about it, then this would be what it would look like.

Only 324 stickers grace the album this year - and only 15 stickers per team with 12 of those being players. So it seems that if a player is a guaranteed starter for each team, then they will have a sticker. Any teams that have a large squad, or even use squad rotation regularly, then I guarantee that there will be at least 6 players missing from that team. Ironically, it could be possible to create another sticker album completely with the missing players!! Compare this with Panini Calciatori, where they have 22 player stickers per team. Anyone feeling a little bit ripped off yet?

Anyway the album does have a bright look about it and looks good and colourful. The opening page has an introduction from Manchester City’s Kevin De Bruyne, and the Premier League trophy both have a sticker each, sadly not a shiny though.

IMG_5585.jpg

Each team has a shiny and the kits are back at least with a larger sticker for a squad photo. The basics are there too, stadium name, capacity, and Twitter and Facebook addresses. Each team also has some stats on 2016/17, and each player has their own stats, which I assume are opta based up to 2nd October 2017. Though there are only 12 stickers for the players, at least the squad list is there.

IMG_5586.jpg IMG_5587.jpg

In the centre, there are two sections, Gamechangers, and 25 Seasons of Premier League. Gamechangers features a player from each team who Topps feel can change a game as it were. Nice large action stickers there. The 25 Seasons of Premier League section is a complete joke and a filler in my opinion. Only 6 stickers are in this section, and so much more could’ve been done as Topps have a huge archive of Premier League to choose from and so many great players and games over the last 25 years.

IMG_5588.jpg IMG_5589.jpg
IMG_5590.jpg IMG_5591.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg IMG_5595.jpg

On the back of the larger sticker, there is a code where you can enter at www.toppsfootball.com and win one of 2500 prizes, such as signed shirts, memorabilia, and cards. I entered all of mine and each one entered me into a weekly prize draw. Maybe I should’ve waited and done it in a few weeks time where the initial sales would have dies down a bit and made my chances of winning a bit smaller.

There is also a chance of getting hold of a limited edition gold sticker version of certain players to enhance the album, there are 20 to collect.

I am glad that I have this album, as it does keep up my collection of every top flight football sticker album from England since 1978. Yes, as I also said last year Topps could’ve done more, but they haven’t. I will keep buying the albums in the hope that one day they will get it right for me. I am sure that there are loads of other collectors that might disagree with me though! ;)

Enjoy the album!

Last edited:

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Wow! @Jamiepr74 You finished the album super quick! Did it take many packets to open and did you get many limited edition stickers?

Yep I totally agree that it is not a patch on the Calciatori album. I’m guessing that Match Attax is their main focus with stickers an after thought.

I bought the album as a whole with all the stickers, only took me about an hour to stick them all in. Sign of the times with the very few stickers Topps produced. No limited edition stickers and also no instant prizes sadly though. :(

AndyR

2 fantastic reviews above from @LeicesterRob & @Jamiepr74 - thanks lads.

Haven't opened any yet but like @Helios says above in regards to these "limited edition" stickers which have been included this year - just a pure money making technique without the hassle of redemption stickers etc like for the "authentic auto" stickers in Topps Total Football 2009. I assume they must be quite common and not really a "Limited" edition at all as are trading for dirt cheap on ebay from the main sellers already. Basically, i would hazard a guess at the moment they are as common as the "Ultrafoil" stickers they produced for the 2001 series. The question is which I personally believe why Topps really butcher these albums is "which sticker do you insert into the album - the LE or the standard and which do you therefore keep loose??" They fail to understand the logic of that in sticker collections as their focus is solely on the Match Attax brand. Fundamentally, this is a sticker collection not a card collection which you keep loose and dont glue/stick into an album permanently.
Would be interested to know how many collectors actually want these so called "Limited Edition" stickers released by Topps in the collection as well as the same standard stickers if they had a choice? why have 2 stickers with the same number!!!!
As they have unfortunately been released my initial thoughts are : Use the original stickers for the album and keep the allegedly "Limited" edition stickers for loose. Lots of people will think differently though, what do you guys think??

The design in recent years is very strange to me also as is very childish. That's not a bad thing but if there comments are to be believed (possibly the most horrific customer service most collectors encounter so probably not!) then these collections are allegedly aimed at old skool collectors more so than youngsters as the majority of youngsters nowadays are totally the opposite to us all and prefer cards to stickers. Looking at the images above though, one positive is they dont have any of those shite puzzle stickers this year with the ready brek glow men to stick in at a 37.5 degree angle...!!

You cannot really compare this album to the class of the 1980s for Panini or most definately the Calciatori albums of nowadays - Topps are light years behind in virtually every aspect. That being said they really dont give a flying &&&&..... and the problem most of us have is if you have all the English league albums you have to continue with this years however poor it is. Just be thankful its only 300 stickers I guess!!