Merlin Premier League 2019

Jamiepr74

I’ve ordered two boxes online and hopefully will complete the collection with them.

On reflection, this album is merely a token gesture by Topps....

Panini Calciatori have 22 players per team in Serie A, and even 18 per team in Serie B........Topps really are taking the piss with their numbers......

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
First one opened...

View attachment 11761

The stickers are pretty good tbh. Not enough of them to collect but better designed than last year’s in my mind.
From what I saw so far, the only thing that really makes Topps looks bad is the few players per team, which is indeed a huge minus.

I believe sticker quality should be bad too, if it's the same usual paper Topps use for CL.

However, stickers design don't look bad at all, price is great (again, just like CL) and the album seems decent.

Burnley team sticker is so old school, but so good too! How I miss those team stickers for the portuguese league! Last years don't have it and before that was just one small sticker with just a starting 11.

Don't shout so much for Panini, I tell ya... I'm sure they will try to do an epic album and surely better than Topps, but don't complain later about prices and rare stickers :rolleyes: Giving with one hand, taking with the other :D

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Patron
From what I saw so far, the only thing that really makes Topps looks bad is the few players per team, which is inde
ed a huge minus.

I believe sticker quality should be bad too, if it's the same usual paper Topps use for CL.

However, stickers design don't look bad at all, price is great (again, just like CL) and the album seems decent.

Burnley team sticker is so old school, but so good too! How I miss those team stickers for the portuguese league! Last years don't have it and before that was just one small sticker with just a starting 11.

Don't shout so much for Panini, I tell ya... I'm sure they will try to do an epic album and surely better than Topps, but don't complain later about prices and rare stickers :rolleyes: Giving with one hand, taking with the other :D
I think you've nailed a very good summary @dantzig!

My overall thoughts are:

Positives:
- overall design is good and stickers work well with white frames (always a good decision if the pages are busy with content, colour and design)
- stickers are good too - nice to see full jersey and sponsor
- good variation in stickers
- fewer big sized stickers is good (in my mind)
- 10 stickers per packet is a great idea and I think Panini should do that too (less waste on the environment)
- cheap to collect as less stickers!

Not so good:
- collection is too small (310 stickers) with ten players per team not great...
- the star player sticker could of been the 11th one instead of it being a duplication from the ten
- regular players missing from the starting X...

Note to self: Count the players at the next game to check if there really are 11 in my team! Funnily we have a lot of red cards and often play with ten at LCFC so maybe it represents my team well! Haha)

If I was to compare it with a recent Panini edition I'd say it sits close to the Austria, Cyprus, Greece or Russian editions. Sadly it falls short of Este La Liga, Foot, Brazil Campeonato and of course Calciatori! Having said that I really don't like how Este release their stickers with multiple editions for the boxes alone.

There is a serious consideration that the big albums are great for us collectors but not so great for children. The abandon rate must be enormous for the 600+ sticker albums.

I'll update everyone the more I find out

Helios

Contributor
Decent look, but Topps proved before they do not (want) to understand what a good album has to have.
18-20 Player squad, stadiums, mascots, fans,legends , future prospects, last season review...
Indeed there is a “derby“ double page section.
I ask myself if the effort would have been bigger when Topps had secured the license for the next period.
Honestly I have my doubts.
So it will be easy for Panini to set a benchmark album next year.

Cheerio Topps and goodbye (!) :D

Last edited:

Jamiepr74

It’s an ok album nice and colourful.....can’t say anything new regarding the player numbers. 310 isn’t anywhere near enough and perhaps I will enjoy the challenge of completing next season’s Panini album with hopefully 600 stickers to get so it will be worth it. Plus now my album is filled, it doesn’t feel heavy at all, there is nothing like holding a completed album in your hand that when you hold it, you can feel the weight of it’s completed contents.

Anyway, with regards to completing the album, I bought two boxes and out of it all I got one complete sticker collection and a second collection with one sticker missing which I have since bought on eBay so am now selling it complete and loose with an empty album.

Also got 212 loose stickers and 113 loose stickers on eBay so at least I will get some money back.....

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Patron
Plus now my album is filled, it doesn’t feel heavy at all, there is nothing like holding a completed album in your hand that when you hold it, you can feel the weight of it’s completed contents.
Hi @Jamiepr74! I'm with you 100% as there is certainly something to be said about an album that gains weight with lots of stickers inside. When I rejoined the Panini community in 2014 it was that experience that I had forgotten about. We never forget the smell of the stickers and we always remember wondering what that missing sticker looked like but the weight of the album once completed is certainly another indicator of a good collection (not always but it is often a good indicator)!

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Patron
Maybe it’s pure luck but I managed to complete a full set from one box of 50 packets!

The collection certainly has its limitations but I have to give it thumbs up for ease of completing it.

Well done Topps!

Jamiepr74

Maybe it’s pure luck but I managed to complete a full set from one box of 50 packets!

The collection certainly has its limitations but I have to give it thumbs up for ease of completing it.

Well done Topps!
Yeah that's one good thing!

Well once I completed one album with a whole box, and one sticker missing with another box, I bought the missing sticker. Then sold all of the doubles and second completed collection, for about £60 in total. So this years album cost me £40, minus seller fees on ebay.

I get a feeling though that next year's Panini album might cost a little more ;)

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Well done Topps!
With a box of 500 stickers (?), Topps surely has to insert all 310 there... Each packet has a shiny and a big one, right? 40 Shinies total and since Topps must insert all 40 straight without doubles, it fits in a 50-packet box... Big ones are even easier, I guess, there's only 30 different (20 kits + derbies and such), so probably all 30 and 20 different doubles... Then 8 normal stickers out of 250, which is complete after 32 packets (assuming again Topps insertion method is almost flawless for doubles, depends how they print though).

Shinies seem a bit more rare, my guess is you need just 40 straight packets (don't take them out of order in the box!) to get a complete set (unless you get doubles in shinies).

I get a feeling though that next year's Panini album might cost a little more ;)
2x more with last stickers orders, packets might not be much more expensive, perhaps around 20% more? But it'll be more tough to complete for sure, not only because it'll be bigger, but Panini is not so "kind" as Topps.

Or maybe they just want to retain their new UK customers with lower prices and an easy set... Not likely though :p

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Patron
With a box of 500 stickers (?), Topps surely has to insert all 310 there... Each packet has a shiny and a big one, right? 40 Shinies total and since Topps must insert all 40 straight without doubles, it fits in a 50-packet box... Big ones are even easier, I guess, there's only 30 different (20 kits + derbies and such), so probably all 30 and 20 different doubles... Then 8 normal stickers out of 250, which is complete after 32 packets (assuming again Topps insertion method is almost flawless for doubles, depends how they print though).

Shinies seem a bit more rare, my guess is you need just 40 straight packets (don't take them out of order in the box!) to get a complete set (unless you get doubles in shinies).

2x more with last stickers orders, packets might not be much more expensive, perhaps around 20% more? But it'll be more tough to complete for sure, not only because it'll be bigger, but Panini is not so "kind" as Topps.

Or maybe they just want to retain their new UK customers with lower prices and an easy set... Not likely though :p
Hi @dantzig

Yeah it surprised me too and I opened 48 packets out of 50 to get the full set. I started opening them in order and had a great start with very few doubles (as expected). By the time I got to the middle of the box the packets were full of duplicates with barely any new ones, so I thought I'd mix it up and open the reminder from the end of the box.

Last year the boxes were 30 packets with just 5 stickers so this year has been a breeze to get a full set together!

Apart from Panini Cyprus 17 I've never completed a full set in one evening before!

I've got so many collections to finish off that I'm actually pleased!

Would be good hearing if anyone else had such luck?

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Hi @dantzig

Yeah it surprised me too and I opened 48 packets out of 50 to get the full set. I started opening them in order and had a great start with very few doubles (as expected). By the time I got to the middle of the box the packets were full of duplicates with barely any new ones, so I thought I'd mix it up and open the reminder from the end of the box.

Last year the boxes were 30 packets with just 5 stickers so this year has been a breeze to get a full set together!

Apart from Panini Cyprus 17 I've never completed a full set in one evening before!

I've got so many collections to finish off that I'm actually pleased!

Would be good hearing if anyone else had such luck?
I checked @AndyR unboxing and realized why you got so many doubles when you got to the middle of the box: a box has two different packets batches, Topps actually places two 25-packets lots and not an entire 50-packet lot. You can see it easily by the packets corners, first 25 have a black corner on the left/right, the remaining 25 have the opposite back corner. Panini does it too.

erherg.jpg

This means that, with the lousiest luck, those two 25-packets batches can be the same. However, your second batch had the remaining of the first one, which I believe is the most likely, because it's around 60-ish stickers needed from 250 possible. Difficult increases a bit due those shiny stickers, as you'll need at least 15 new ones from the second batch (you get 25 in first batch), so 15 out of remaining 25 can be a bit more tricky... Maybe that's why @Jamiepr74 missed one in his box?

Very recently, I completed a full set of Panini's Kimmidoll photocards collection for my sister, by buying a full box and actually opening just the first 18 of the 24 packets... Each pack had 6 cards, so 18x6=108, which is exactly the full set... No doubles, all 108 in first 18 packets I opened... When a collection is made with no rare cards/stickers and with just one material (no shinies/transparent/etc), it's much easier to complete.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
everyone who buys a box in it's entirety completes the set which i think is the perfect way, no complaints. Panini used to do that a lot with all their sticker collections which was a major advantage of buying them i think, such a shame they dont do that anymore (well maybe they do for different collections as Carlos got Kimmidoll set mentioned above but for latest collections with over the amount of stickers you get in a box it is obviously impossible. What a spot with the black corners on different sides, that totally makes sense as 250 stickers per half box, so would just need a different run of 60 stickers in each half which ensures the complete collection. Such a stark contrast to the useless 20pack boxes for the champions league collection, the first time they have done that in the UK and in comparison to the 50pack ones from previous years which got you a near complete set has certainly put me off buying boxes for next seasons collections if they do the same thing, may just snap up a complete set for a fraction of the cost on ebay rather than having 13 swaps of 30 different numbers and still needing over 100 stickers to complete!!!
Panini still insert complete sets indeed, it's just the great majority of collections have more different numbers than one full box, like you wrote... Good times when my mother bought me a full WC94 box and I got all 444 (a box had 600 stickers!).

It also depends if there are special/rare stickers... Since they are inserted in a different way, it's again a gamble, even more if they are rarer indeed... Panini is master in this, all their latest international sets have these "hidden" methods to make collections more difficult to complete.

Andy, you would be more upset with UCL in rest of Europe... Just 150 stickers instead of 200 per box, which you're prone to obviously get a lot of doubles... And since those little shinies are tougher to have them all, it's even more upsetting.

Anyway, this Premier League set is indeed among the best to complete right away. A box should be enough to get all (in most cases) and I'm not seeing any "rare" stickers, besides shinies being a bit more hard to get all. Too bad Topps just went out like this, with a very small set for such a major league, really don't understand why Topps is miserable in the sticker department.