Merlin Premier League 2016/17

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Patron
Still no sign of it in the shops - I've checked all the major outlets and nothing so far. Maybe it's delayed? Lots of eBay sellers though.

Danju

Patron
the the badges look nice, with the holograms.
1st thing I like about this collection.

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Patron
They focus on trading cards. The thing they have been known for.Probably FIFA 365 success killed there sticker series sales..
I think the market for league stickers is very small compared to trading cards in the UK. I still haven't seen the album or stickers sold anywhere on the high street yet. :(

I'm sure if there was a strong marketing campaign it would ignite some real interest especially if each ground had free copies to be handed out over Christmas. A nice present for supporters to take home.

We still have the FIFA 365 stickers on the shelves but I'm not sure they get bought in great numbers. However when the Euros or World Cup are on the associated albums become very popular again. I know work colleagues that collect them during the tournaments but have no interest in the league albums.

In 2014 Topps released here in Brazil the Premier League album (season 13-14).
There wasn't any Brazilian player on the cover, and the album was successfull, not as Campeonato Brasileiro, but the same as Uefa Champions League or Liga BBVA (Panini releases an edition to Latin America).
And now, with Coutinho on the cover, a loved player here in Brazil, Topps could have more success with the album, but we have not heard any news about the album.

It is so sad...

Jamiepr74

I have just completed a full set of Merlin's Premier League 2017 and considering I have every top flight football league sticker album dating back to 1978, I have to say I am completely disappointed with the album as a whole.

In comparison to Panini's Calciatori collections this is without doubt a very poor effort. It's almost like Topps have just produced an album for as little cost as possible, in order to cut their their costs and maximise their income. They appear to have done this just by taking the official Premier League photographs of each player and produced a sticker of it. I know that they have done this every year previously, but the fact that they appear to take great pride in "Celebrating 25 years" on the front of the album, they seriously could have done much, much more to reflect on this fact.

There is a shiny sticker for the club crest, 2 stickers for the squad photo, and a shiny sticker for a star player from each team. Only 12 stickers for each team is more than disappointing in this day and age considering squad sizes in the PL, and not even an illustration for each players' nationality. They have also removed stickers for the team's kits so they have done as little as possible.

To me, 4 pages of individual player records, from most appearances to most goals just isn't enough. As a Southampton fan (maybe I am biased) but when they had the sticker to show off Sadio Mane who scored the fastest PL hat-trick, they didn't even have a photo of him in a Southampton shirt when he got his hat-trick at the time, and they just used a stock photo of him in a Liverpool shirt. Also 2 pages of PL young stars (4 players), with no stickers is hardly an interesting section in the album at all.

They could have done so much more in the album, maybe action stickers in each team's section, star players from seasons gone by for each team. Perhaps a 6 page section featuring stickers from all the teams who had won the previous PL titles in the last 25 years. Maybe a history section of teams that have graced the PL in the last 25 years but are not featured in the album any more, best managers, best goals, etc.

Topps have done nothing to appeal to me as a collector and a football fan. Having collected Panini's French Ligue, Italian Calcio, and Spanish La Liga football albums, they have done so much more just by the look of the album, and also the level of detail. I also collect the Topps German Bundesliga albums and whilst their versions are pretty much identical to their English counterparts, they seem to put in a little more effort and detail in their albums.

Topps have got it so wrong and what they have produced in taking over the UEFA Champions League license demonstrates this after they ridiculously omitted Olympic Lyonnais from their pages last season. And this season's edition wasn't much better with not every team being featured with an individual 2 page spread for each squad.

I really hope that one day Topps finally lose the license for the PL and their albums. Panini do a far greater job and they seriously need to do all they can to regain the licence for the PL. I and many others would love this, and looking back at the English Football League albums from 1978 to the early 1990's where not only were the albums of the teams, but the level of detail was fantastic in stadiums, matchday programmes, players, history, stats about each player, pretty much like what Panini Calciatori are doing today. Now as an avid collector of the PL album (and I will continue collecting this), I am sure that Panini would love to grace the PL sticker albums and show off what they have been doing so well for decades. Maybe I am just being nostalgic having collected stickers for 40 years, but maybe one day I will enjoy an album like I used to from years gone by.

Ceesmk

I have every album of the English League too since 1978 (except 2015 :-( ) and you're right. I've got the complete set 2017 too, and this is really disappointing for a so rich and important league. Even the album from the Bosnian league is more interesting. Moreover, almost nothing for the 25 years of the license.

But there is a great quality; it's easy to complete the collection, and so relatively cheap. In France, for this year, some people are opening 800 or 900 packs to have the complete album, this is theft!

Of course, this is not the beautiful album Panini Football 88, for me the best for the English League, with the 100 years of the Championship.

LeicesterRob

Contributor
Patron
What's just as bad @Jamiepr74 and @Ceesmk is that I've still not found one shop that sells the album or stickers! I'm in the South Midlands and tried Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Tesco, WH Smith and even the Co-op! All of them are big stores and stock other Panini albums, but no sign of Topps. Not one solitary packet to be found so I've bought a complete set from eBay instead which is now on its way to me.

My favourite old Panini from the UK was Football 83 with the slimmer stickers. I started my sticker apprenticeship on Football 85 (aged 10) and managed to complete Football 86. I then had a sticker career break for 28 years before being reunited with these great sets just recently. Looking back though I think they lost the Calciatori feel in 1989 when the lower leagues were omitted.

Ceesmk

What's just as bad @Jamiepr74 and @Ceesmk is that I've still not found one shop that sells the album or stickers! I'm in the South Midlands and tried Waitrose, Sainsbury's, Tesco, WH Smith and even the Co-op! All of them are big stores and stock other Panini albums, but no sign of Topps.
The problem is the same here in France if you want to buy UEFA Champions League. I'm living near Paris, so I could find easily albums and stickers, but except in the great cities it's very difficult to find Topps material. Lots of collectors even don't know, that there is still an album for UEFA Champions League here in France and think that the FIFA 365 is the new one instead of UEFA Champions League!

Ceesmk

WTF! I just stuck the stickers and the central page is already out of the staples...Really a shit album...

Ceesmk

Pictures of the complete album

Attachments