• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Italian cheater at eBay?

Jimmy1975

I sold some cards to an Italian user at eBay, he had a good reputation and only positive feedback.

Anyway, he didn't want me to send the cards with registered letter, so I sent them with regular letter.
Just one week after I have sent the letter he raised a case at PayPal that he didn't recieved the cards, without contacting me first. I answered politely at PayPal resolution center that a letter to Italy could take up to 2-3 weeks to arrive. This was at wednesday. Today, Friday, PayPal solved the case to the buyers advantage and took the money from my account.

By experience with the Italian post i know that sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks, even a month sometimes, for a letter to arrive.

What do you think about this?
I have contacted the buyer several times, both by private mail and thorugh the eBay messaging system, but no answer from him. And since I allready gave him positive feedback because of the fast payment I can't no longer give him negative feedback.

The name of the user is fiorentino2017

AndyR

I sold some Juventus Ultras scarves i had kept from back in the day. I sent them off and 3 weeks later the buyer claimed they had not received them. Luckily on mine I sent registered delivery and when i checked on postitaliene they had been signed for 3 days previously... when sent message back saying they had signed for them they suddenly left positive feedback. Mistake or something more sinister...you guys decide! Always only send stuff registered to Italy is my opinion otherwise you will leave yourself open for a paypal claim. I think its 50/50 as even Italians I speak to don't trust their own postal service. I must say its not only Italy notorious for that...
Ive never heard of letters taking a month to arrive in Italy from another european country, the only thing ive heard of is you can send items "surface mail" to places outside europe which take 4-6 weeks. standard delivery time for most countries is 5-10 working days which is 1-2 weeks but you may have bank holidays, xmas workload amongst those dates...
Remember Buyers will not have any negative feedback as it is impossible to leave them negative.

I really hope the value of your items you sent wasn't significant. What seems shady to me is first he asks you to send un-registered and then only waited 1 week before raising a claim... probably waited to receive them and then finished the scam. Perhaps thats me just being cynical??

the problem with ebay is you have to remember, not everyone is trustworthy and honest like how you would treat others on there. I dont think it matters what country they reside in, there's always shady people on there and you have to protect yourself as much as you can. If the cards were very very cheap just put it down to experience. Its happened to most of us.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I sold some cards to an Italian user at eBay, he had a good reputation and only positive feedback.

Anyway, he didn't want me to send the cards with registered letter, so I sent them with regular letter.
Just one week after I have sent the letter he raised a case at PayPal that he didn't recieved the cards, without contacting me first. I answered politely at PayPal resolution center that a letter to Italy could take up to 2-3 weeks to arrive. This was at wednesday. Today, Friday, PayPal solved the case to the buyers advantage and took the money from my account.

By experience with the Italian post i know that sometimes it takes 2-3 weeks, even a month sometimes, for a letter to arrive.

What do you think about this?
I have contacted the buyer several times, both by private mail and thorugh the eBay messaging system, but no answer from him. And since I allready gave him positive feedback because of the fast payment I can't no longer give him negative feedback.

The name of the user is fiorentino2017
If the cards are not really valuable, I wouldn't bother anymore with that... No matter if he asked for standard postage (which indeed can be a sign for something wrong), ebay just want to know if they can trace it (and by "they", I mean you have to insert the tracking number in ebay system AND be available to trace it there, not in some website).

If the cards are valuable, then you were gullible to accept standard postage... I only give my buyers a chance to choose if it's just some low value stickers and cards.

About the case itself, one week is indeed too short to open a case (but ebay allows after 4 working days, if I'm not mistaken) and also, ebay estimate deliveries might be deceiving for the buyers... But it's surprising that Paypal closed the case so quickly, they usually give around one week to work things out and if escalated, then it can be closed right away.

You also wrote that he opened a Paypal case, but I suppose it was en ebay case? Mind the difference, Paypal case is something opened on Paypal, not affiliated with ebay purchases/sales.

His feedback is already substantial, more than 400... Usually, guys who take advantage of these cases have low feedback, but of course, he might those guys who's always waiting to open cases for non-traceable purchases to "strike"... And his behavior does give that feeling.

And about feedback: because of these cases and also people not leaving feedback, since some years ago I just leave feedback AFTER the buyer has left positive feedback. Like @AndyR wrote, you as a seller cannot leave anything else than positive feedback.

Danju

thats why most people just send by reg. letter in case of using paypal.
it´s a pitty but they made it very easy for peope that are up to no good.