Euro 2016 Football Matches

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I remembered something I wrote around 10 months ago, in the pre-release thread of Euro 2016, answering to Ilias who was sad for Greece not going to Euro:

Support Portugal, we're now the new greeks... Just barely playing some decent football, only close victories, some in the added time... And we have the previous greek manager! Yeah, we're going to be champions like Greece was in 2004 :p
Bloody hell, I was completely joking at the time!

Btw, a french journalist told on a portuguese TV program, exactly one month ago (before Portugal even started to play), that Éder would be the one to score the winning goal against France in the final... And then, Portugal manager said, after the first two draws, that they would return to Portugal only on July 11st, to celebrate with the portuguese (and he wasn't joking one bit).

There's a spanish saying that people on my mother's homeland (very near to Spain border) usually say: "No creo en brujas, pero que las hay, las hay"... After these events, I'm inclined to agree :p

LFC1892

Contributor
Yes, nice touch indeed to honor Eusébio... The picture was also in front of the bus they used across Lisbon.

You probably mean Black Panther, right?
I have read many call him Black Pearl, anyways both names fit him proper.

I keep imagining you like this mate. :D

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I have read many call him Black Pearl, anyways both names fit him proper.

I keep imagining you like this mate. :D

Eusébio is known as "Pantera Negra", so it's Black Panther... Probably some confused with the ship from Pirates of the Caribbean :p

I wouldn't do those silly dances! I actually would do worse :p Though I celebrated the goal sliding on my knees like I was in a football field, then screamed after the final whistle, then jumped out of my living room window (no worries, I live in the bottom floor) and started shouting Portugal & Éder... Got back home, watched Portugal receiving the trophy, then I went to town center to celebrate with a couple of friends, shouting whenever a car passed by us beeping... Then I went home and spent the rest of the night watching the best moments on TV :D

But I suppose nobody had the best feeling like these guys had:

CHUTA DAÍ, CARALHO! :D

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
Patron
You're so cruel @dantzig ;)
I will not tell what I did at the end of the match (in fact : nothing but going to bed :confused:) but I just can say that thousands of bottles of champagne have been spared in the whole country this night.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You're so cruel @dantzig ;)
I will not tell what I did at the end of the match (in fact : nothing but going to bed :confused:) but I just can say that thousands of bottles of champagne have been spared in the whole country this night.
Sorry, just wanted to express my happiness... But actually, there was a joke from a very known portuguese comedian, Ricardo Araújo Pereira, about the champagne (it's not to mock the french, no worries): he said he didn't really believe he would win, as we always fail in the decisive moments (he said Ronaldo injury was a warning sign for him)... Then, after Éder goal, he wouldn't have much time to put the champagne in the fridge and let it cool down, so he had to drink it warm :p

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
Patron
There's nothing bad to mock in these moments. This is part of sport. I totally understand.