Euro 2016 Football Matches

Helios

Contributor
What was the point of those Croatian ultras can someone explain ?
On television former Croatian national player said they have issues with Croatian football association.There was also a handmade transparent being held up for a short period of time..

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
On television former Croatian national player said they have issues with Croatian football association.There was also a handmade transparent being held up for a short period of time..
Handmade transparent? What is that?

Watched now Iceland vs Hungary... Have to say Iceland is starting to remind me about Euro 2004 :/

LFC1892

Contributor
Well done Hungary for not giving up and earning a point they deserved.

Iceland are starting to piss me off with their negative football like Greece 2004.

I understand you have to play to your strength but that was ugly & they paid the price in the end.

Portugal can eliminate the much fancied Austria with a win. Shame Renato Sanchez ain't starting. What a player.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If one day, someone remembers to do some statistics with goals chances vs goals, I would really like to see where Portugal is... Because it's almost impossible to have a team worse than Portugal, with so many chances to score and not scoring once... And we're not even playing in full force!

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
With statistics like this and not scoring a single goal, no team deserves to go through.

sfgsegw.png

Ronaldo: 5 clear chances to score in both matches, including a penalty... Should he be in Real, at least 3 of these were goal.

And to laugh a bit:

fhsg.png

:rolleyes:

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
o_OConspiracy theory?:D
Nah, just England and Spain didn't do their job to be in first place... If every top seeder team ended in 1st place, B/D/F would be in left part (England, Spain and Portugal)... Now all of them can be in right part, though Portugal will probably end up either in first (win today's match) or third place (draw today's match... and this is only if it goes through, obviously), so left part.

Makhno

Staff member
Contributor
Patron
Apart that we must admit Croatia is a big gun too. Now favorite for reaching the final. But we (the oldest) all remind former croatian and yugoslavian teams with fantastic players but exploding under pressure. The exact opposite of Italia for example.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Apart that we must admit Croatia is a big gun too. Now favorite for reaching the final. But we (the oldest) all remind former croatian and yugoslavian teams with fantastic players but exploding under pressure. The exact opposite of Italia for example.
Croatia is in great form, but it's not a big gun, historically talking of course.... And if Portugal ends in third place, it'll face Croatia.... If ends in first, it'll face Belgium (most likely, if they manage to hold second place today)... Second place it's against England.

Let's see how it goes today.

Helios

Contributor
I also do think Portugal will be in serious trouble against this Croatian Team.
But something tells me Portugal will be eliminated -better said: will eliminate themselves today..sorry my friend @dantzig.

Last edited:

Andy

looking at the draw for the next stage, there is a massive overload of the so-called big nations all in the bottom half of the draw at the moment - Spain/Italia, Germany, England, France... it leaves the top half of the draw for a chance of a emerging nation as a finalist.

LFC1892

Contributor
Spain's loss yesterday turned the whole last 16 draw upside down. They were "supposed" to win their group and have an easier route to the final being in the other side of the draw but they fucked it up.

One of Croatia or Poland(if they play each other in the QF) and Belgium will have a good shot at semis from that half.

The other side is tougher than draw I have seen. I dare anyone to call it.

Kacper13

And England - Iceland on 27th June :)

------------------------------------------

Friends, I am looking some Euros, and World Cup tickets, for my collection.

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I also do think Portugal will be in serious trouble against this Croatian Team.
But something tells me Portugal will be eliminated -better said: will eliminate themselves today..sorry my friend @dantzig.
You were right three times, but we are still alive... Barely though, but still proud of their spirit to not give up.

I don't understand our manager... Everyone sees Moutinho is not fine, André Gomes is slow, like the four midfielders we start with (though João Mário can quickly speed up the game)... Why the hell he keeps Moutinho in starting 11?! I'm not a Renato Sanches fan, but he's exactly what we need for that midfield, someone who can brings fast the ball to the attack... After he came in, João Mário played much better, William started to feel less pressured (lousy first half he did, losing his focus too much) and after Gomes was replaced by Quaresma, attack became even faster... THIS IS WHAT WE NEED, FERNANDO SANTOS! Defense today was poor too, no one played well and their legs were shaking more than a leaf on a windy day.

About Hungary, they have shown why they deserve to be first in the group, great fighting spirit and awesome teamwork, exploring really well our flaws (like Iceland did)... But damn, almost every single shot went in, Dzsudzsak goals always bounced in some portuguese and betrayed Patrício... Fortunately, Ronaldo today was on fire, finally a glimpse of what he can do (and no stupid shots everytime, except the free kicks).

With the last minute surprised on Iceland match (seems they played better this time than just luck, though Austria could have settled the match in second half), Portugal ended up in one of best thirds and facing Croatia... Playing like this, obviously we cannot win against motivated Croatia, their midfield with Mandzukic/Perisic will torn us apart.

As for the Round of 16, three out of five major contenders will be out after the quarter-finals (Germany, Spain and Italy + England and France), so good news for the left part... I'm going for a Spain vs France in semi-finals, while the other side I bet on a Belgium vs Croatia/Poland/Portugal (if we can finally get the right track)

Btw, for those people who saw Ronaldo microphone episode in the morning, please don't judge him as being rude or arrogant... The reporter is from the most hated newspaper/tv channel here, which is famous for being sensationalist (like The Sun in UK) and already have told countless lies about Ronaldo private life and such... This is going for years and even in that time, where nobody was allowed to ask questions to players, that shitty journalist had to ask a dumb question... It looks good to say "even if you're right, you cannot be like this, hot headed", but seriously, that shitty journalism is the worse.

Helios

Contributor
What matters is on the field.
He saved Portugal with two great goals.
This is the right answer to everything.

But you are right the journey very likely will be over soon with this sloppy defense.

So from the left side one lower seated team will be in the final..that's nice.

I heard rumors many people put money on a final France - Austria..:)
One guy bet on Croatia as champion..he must be lifted now after group stage is played.

mszaby

It's been the greatest result for Hungary since WC 1966.
Greece,Finland and Romania were very happy to play against Hungary in quailification. After that Norway said it was dream draw when they had to play against us for Euro 2016. Austria,Portugal and Iceland laughed at us. Portugal needed the best player of the world to have a chance. Be careful Belgium we are coming.... :)