Damaged Football Cards?

Suchy

Contributor
Hi, so long since I last wrote a message here but I think the situation deserves it. I'm a Valencia CF card and sticker collector and last month I decided to buy some Panini Japan stuff like WCCF and Footista series through an intermediary. Yesterday I received the big package and unfortunately I had an issue with a seller that I wanted to ask your opinion about it.
I bought 6 complete sets from him from different years (2008 to 2015). In five of those sets I found that some cards have red stains on the white borders as you can see in the images attached to this thread. The only set that doens't have this issue was the most recent. At first I though about some misprint or some drink drops but it happens in too many cards and from different years so I'm not sure about it. My biggest worry is that it can be some Fungus and could damage other cards.
I looked at eBay for other photos of the cards and I saw a French guy selling some cards with the same issue but the cards from other sellers seems ok.

Does anyone know what could have happen with these cards? Unfortunately I can't talk to my seller to ask him directly.

Many thanks,
Alberto
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 18.51.11.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 18.48.51.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 21.17.55.jpegWhatsApp Image 2024-04-04 at 21.19.01.jpeg

joanra16

Hi,
I also ordered a big bulk of cards from Japan some time ago and have some of them that are in the same situation, probably the seller was the same. I noticed that this happened in white base cards from the 2004-2005 season onwards (I would say that until 2011-2012, but I cannot remember it clearly, sorry), but not in black cards or shinnies. These stains are not bigger than when I first received the cards, so I guess it's more an issue of how the original owner kept them. For instance, apart from this issue in white cards, some of them came with a very intense smell of tobacco and/or really sticky backs that damaged the front of other cards in the package.
Having said that, it's only a guess. I have no idea what is this or how to solve it, so it would be appreciated if someone could shed light on this.
Thanks

Suchy

Contributor
Hi,

Thanks for the answer. It's unfortunate that you got those cards in bad shape too. At least mine don't have that tobacco smell haha. Unfortunate I finally ended up ordering another set for those 'damaged' cards. I hope these ones come in better condition.

claudio7788

Patron
Hi, so long since I last wrote a message here but I think the situation deserves it. I'm a Valencia CF card and sticker collector and last month I decided to buy some Panini Japan stuff like WCCF and Footista series through an intermediary. Yesterday I received the big package and unfortunately I had an issue with a seller that I wanted to ask your opinion about it.
I bought 6 complete sets from him from different years (2008 to 2015). In five of those sets I found that some cards have red stains on the white borders as you can see in the images attached to this thread. The only set that doens't have this issue was the most recent. At first I though about some misprint or some drink drops but it happens in too many cards and from different years so I'm not sure about it. My biggest worry is that it can be some Fungus and could damage other cards.
I looked at eBay for other photos of the cards and I saw a French guy selling some cards with the same issue but the cards from other sellers seems ok.

Does anyone know what could have happen with these cards? Unfortunately I can't talk to my seller to ask him directly.

Many thanks,
Alberto
View attachment 22465View attachment 22466View attachment 22467View attachment 22468
Hello Alberto, it doesn't seem a discoloration of the backside of the cards on top of them, but nevertheless check the backside of the other cards. Unfortunately it seems mold to me, perhaps you can have a look at some Youtube videos about this issue.

joanra16

Hi Claudio,
Thanks for the advice, I will definitely give it a go and let you know.
This is the best picture I could take of the "before", but I think the red stains are noticeable at the bottom of the front. I'll post the "after" when it's done.

Attachments

joanra16

It didn't work. It's not worth posting how the card looks now because it is the same. To me, it seems color wear rather than mold, because I have not seen it in black base cards nor shinies.