Couple questions about protecting your collection

jorgedef

Hey guys,
I like the idea of the sleeves. I saw them in Colombia back in 2014. But I'm looking to store my albums on sheet protectors inside a binder. The only thing I could find that would fit the world cup albums were 12x12 sheet protectors . These are too big for the albums and I wasn't satisfied because the albums are too lose (this is a scrapbook binder I bought at Hobby Lobby). Any idea how I can store them this way but with sheet protectors that would fit better? @Pavle @ilias

Attachments

Last edited:

ilias

Hey guys,
I like the idea of the sleeves. I saw them in Colombia back in 2014. But I'm looking to store my albums on sheet protectors inside a binder. The only thing I could find that would fit the world cup albums were 12x12 sheet protectors . These are too big for the albums and I wasn't satisfied because the albums are too lose (this is a scrapbook binder I bought at Hobby Lobby). Any idea how I can store them this way but with sheet protectors that would fit better? @Pavle @ilias

Attachments

edison

Hey Guys,

I wanted to consult you with some issues i had in mind.

1. First, I wanted to know which toploaders do you recommend using ? What is common and which are best for your cards? How do you storage them ?
  2. Same goes for albums, How do you protect your albums ?
  3. Last one, I'm looking for places to purchase those items ^ over the internet, since i can't find them in my country. I'm also looking for toploaders for XXL cards (5X7) but can't find them over ebay with a reasonable price (Shipping is twice the item price) . Can you help me with some links ?

Thanks.
@Pei
Time, dust, even weight can ruin your albums.

If the album is a softcover, it should be stored horizontally in custom-made acid-free cardboard or paper-based envelopes.
And maximum storage in a stack of three softcover albums.

For hard cover albums care is minimal, you can store them in vertical position without problems.

I share this interview with Conservation Experts of the National Library of Peru.

The interview is in Spanish, but it has a translation of subtitles available, not entirely accurate, but they help to understand something about the topic. (Look at the 03: 28mins)

I hope I have contributed something to the subject.

regards

Last edited:

ilias

@Pei
Time, dust, even weight can ruin your albums.

If the album is a softcover, it should be stored horizontally in custom-made acid-free cardboard or paper-based envelopes.
And maximum storage in a stack of three softcover albums.

For hard cover albums care is minimal, you can store them in vertical position without problems.

I share this interview with Conservation Experts of the National Library of Peru.

The interview is in Spanish, but it has a translation of subtitles available, not entirely accurate, but they help to understand something about the topic. (Look at the 03: 28mins)

I hope I have contributed something to the subject.

regards
This video was great too bad I couldn’t understand most but I tried to pay very close attention lol

ilias

The way I see it is that comic books are stored in a polypropylene sleeves and acid free cardboard

Now why don’t we do that for our collections? I understand space is very important,but isn’t condition more important?

edison

This video was great too bad I couldn’t understand most but I tried to pay very close attention lol
@ilias
True, the video is amateur, but in summary. Whoever appears there recommends what he does from the point of view of a conservator of historical documents: The protection of Light, Cleaning (dust, Bookworm, mushrooms,) and Storage Position.

Despite being Russia 2018 the most expensive album that has been marketed by Panini, the paper is not of the best quality. That increases their level of degradation.

Conservation standards are generally for the European climate. In other parts of the world, like in South America, the heat and humidity are very high.

Sorry for my bad English ... I'm too lazy to learn English, like you to watch videos in Spanish with default subtitles. lol

edison

@ilias
Some collectors want to have their treasures on hand to admire them every day, other collectors want to have it as protected from any element, thinking that their collections will be valued and sold in the future.

What makes another plastic, i.e. the plastic that all of these companies are using, better? Or is it all just some marketing. Keep in mind that some years ago PVC (polyvinyl chloride) was a standard of protection, and was present in all the category "Toy" (including the sleeves) Now they are "Acid free", maybe in 5 or 10 years they will say another thing.

Space and condition? In the end, the 2, at a level more than the other according to our needs