1950 World Cup (Brazil)

Jose Glaucio

Hey guys!

The story of another album released in Brazil.

This album was released by "A Americana LTDA" a few months after the 1950 World Cup. The stickers came in candies. It seems to me that there are two versions; one launched in São Paulo and another launched in Rio de Janeiro (with autographed stickers).

The album contains 150 stickers. It contains stickers from all the national teams that played in the tournament.

Even though Brazil lost the tournament, and that was considered sad for some Brazilians, that didn't stop album sales from being good. I say "some Brazilians" because the vast majority of the population did not follow the tournament.

Currently, this album is extremely difficult to find, it is considered rare and very expensive. There are people who sell it in replica (fac-similar) versions.

I'll post some pictures for you:

BALAS FUTEBOL 50_CAPA.jpg
The cover

BALAS FUTEBOL 50_CAPA VERT deitado.JPG
I think that is a poster with the page folded

BALAS FUTEBOL 50_VERSO.jpg
The first page of the album. There is the information that album have 150 stickers, and informations about the prizes that you would win if you complete one or more collections, and if you have an amount of repeated stickers.

1 BALAS FUTEBOL 50_BRASIL.jpg
Brazil is the first national team

2 BALAS FUTEBOL 50_URUGUAI.jpg
Uruguay is the second national team

inglaterra-1950-536x800.jpg
The England national team (the blue is different because that is another digitalization of the album).

estados-unidos-1950-539x800.jpg
The USA national team

italia-1950-558x800.jpg
The Italian national team

suica-1950-585x800.jpg
The Switzerland national team

20230628_093242.jpg
The last stickers. I think that is the images of the traumatic last game.

It's also written: "This album belongs to / lives in / City / State".

I like this album because he has the almost same things that becomes a standard in the football's album stickers.

119 chile carimbada.jpg
And some curiosity: this is a marked sticker, which we call stamped sticker ("Figurinha carimbada"). These are the hardest stickers to find. Since people won prizes for completing the album or a part of it, these stickers made that process difficult. In Brazil, "stamped sticker" has become a synonym for a rare sticker, something that has value or a person who is always present in a place (the opposite of the original meaning).
Nowadays, in Brazil, the publication of rare stickers is prohibited (there is a law for that).

Last edited:

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Lovely album, so amazing to watch... thanks for sharing!

Funny how you call "balas" as candies... literally translated as "bullets" :p Even though we basically speak the same language, here we call them "rebuçados" or "gomas".

Jose Glaucio

How interesting! In the State of São Paulo, we use "balas" for these type of "candies" and for "bullets".

images (26).jpeg

We use "goma" for another type of candy:

Screenshot_20230702-121608_Chrome.jpg

And there could be the word "goma de mascar" which would be the chewing gum, which we call "chicletes", even though it's not from Adams.

The 1982 World Cup Ping Pong album have the stickers inside the "chicletes".

javichin123

How interesting! In the State of São Paulo, we use "balas" for these type of "candies" and for "bullets".

View attachment 21652

View attachment 21653

And there could be the word "goma de mascar" which would be the chewing gum, which we call "chicletes", even though it's not from Adams.

Love Brazilian football, i got almost all Brasielirao albums someday i gonna complete all i recently visited SP, RJ and BH for swap albums

dantzig

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

View attachment 21652

View attachment 21653

The difference is indeed in "balas" vs "rebuçados", the rest we say the same, gomas and chicletes.

We even had an 80's portuguese band with a catchy Chiclete theme :D